Mike McFall" />

2 students cited for marijuana use

By Mike McFall

wlkerwla href=”http://chroniclearchive.com/staff/mike-mcfall”>Mike McFallwlkerwl/nbcxfduTwo 20-year-old students are in trouble with the Salt Lake City Police Department for driving under the influence.

Police officers cited and released Sayed Mortazavi, a junior in political science, for driving while under the influence of marijuana, and Benjamin Empey, also a student in political science, for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia.

At 1:06 a.m. on Saturday, a police officer working the Greek Row patrol shift near the U stopped a gold Toyota on 100 South in front of the Pi Kappa Alpha and Chi Omega greek houses.

“As the officer approached the car, the driver-side window was down, and the officer smelled marijuana,” said Lara Jones, spokeswoman for SLCPD. The driver and the passenger were eventually asked to step out of the car so the officer could investigate, she said. The officer searched the car and found marijuana and a bong, according to SLCPD.

Madson Thompson, president of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, said his fraternity members saw the two students sitting on the sidewalk as the officers tested their blood. The officer cited the young men and released them. The Toyota was impounded.

Empey did not respond for comment. Mortazavi could not be reached for comment.