Utah’s spring break appeal sorely lacking

Isaac J. Bromley / The Daily Utah Chronicle

Spring break is a ritualistic event in the United States. Anyone you choose off the street could list any number of places to go for the best and biggest parties across the nation during March and April. Not one of them, however, would mention Utah.
Utah is missing out without any destinations in the area for spring break festivities. While ski resorts do as much as they can to advocate for the state, students ages 18-24, who comprise 4 million of our country’s skiing, cross country and snowboarding participants, according to snowsports.org, have their eyes focused elsewhere during spring break season.
Businesses in Panama City Beach, Fla., one of the well-known spring break destinations, are reported by the Wall Street Journal to make about $101 million in March. Although Utah lacks the tropical ocean setting many party-inciting cities boast, we still have a lot to offer. Anyone who thinks a desert is no place for a festival has never heard of Burning Man in Black Rock City, Nev.
Utah could thrive as a spring break site, since most travelers aren’t looking for seven days of non-stop partying. Skiing, hiking and climbing offer unique alternative activities that few other destinations can compare. Those who would consider spending a portion of their spring break in the mountains might be swayed to come if the activities in the state were a little more well-rounded and better promoted.
It’s imaginable there are many residents who would discourage promoting what might often might be a rowdy form of tourism. As represented by the strict liquor and gambling laws in the state, Utah is no stranger to putting perceived morals above economic advancement.
However, with 2012 being the warmest year on record and the Olympic bid only coming every 24 years, “the Greatest Snow on Earth” might soon need help from other avenues to draw attention to our state.
Local festivities will also help inspire youth to remain nearby this time of the year, rather than travelling across the country with a group of friends, hoping to get the most they can out of an expensive investment. Notoriously destitute college students probably won’t disagree with spending a few spring breaks at home either, and it would give our friends at BYU, who don’t even have a spring break, the opportunity to be included in such a hyped-up part of college life.
Utah has much room to grow. Our local geography offers a lot, but if the state wants to become a travel hot spot, it needs a little more diversity in the tourists it attracts and the tourism events it promotes.
Acknowledging the jubilance of the spring break season will hardly turn Utah into America’s Amsterdam, but it would offer opportunities for college students, and even local families, to celebrate the return of warm temperatures while promoting economic growth.
Hopefully something will develop that U students will find worthy of sticking around for, but for now, while students are gearing up for their holiday travels, nothing screams “Visit our state!” like searching “spring break Utah” on the web and getting back nothing but academic calendars.

• F

free betsApr 4, 2013 at 12:09 am

I was suggested this blog by my cοusin. Ι’m not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my problem. You are wonderful! Thanks!

• F

free betsApr 4, 2013 at 12:09 am

• O

online bettingApr 2, 2013 at 11:00 am

I am аctuallу glaԁ to reаԁ thiѕ web ѕite pοstѕ which includes
    lots оf useful infοrmation, thanks for
    provіding such infоrmation.

• O

online bettingApr 2, 2013 at 11:00 am

lots оf useful infοrmation, thanks for
    provіding such infоrmation.

• T

tumblr.comApr 2, 2013 at 10:47 am

Really when someоne doeѕn’t know then its up to other visitors that they will help, so here it takes place.

• T

tumblr.comApr 2, 2013 at 10:47 am

• H

his blogApr 1, 2013 at 12:52 am

Thankѕ for sharing your thoughts on playgiгl.
    Regaгds

• H

his blogApr 1, 2013 at 12:52 am

Regaгds

• A

ashley click clack sofa bedMar 30, 2013 at 2:59 pm

It’s remarkable to pay a quick visit this web site and reading the views of all friends about this post, while I am also eager of getting experience.

• A

• W

WilbertMar 30, 2013 at 12:16 am

I drop a leave a response whenever I like a article on a site or I have something to
    add to the conversation. It is triggered by the fire communicated
    in the post I looked at. And after this article Utah’s spring break
    appeal sorely lacking | The Daily Utah Chronicle. I was excited enough to post a thought :
    ) I do have a couple of questions for you if you don’t mind. Could it be just me or does it look like a few of these responses look like coming from brain dead folks? 😛 And, if you are writing at other online social sites, I would like to follow everything new you have to post. Would you list the complete urls of all your communal sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?Wilbert

• W

WilbertMar 30, 2013 at 12:16 am

• E

ElissaMar 30, 2013 at 12:08 am

Aw, this was a really nice post. Spending some time and actual effort to generate a great article… but what can I say… I put
    things off a lot and never seem to get anything done.

• E

ElissaMar 30, 2013 at 12:08 am