Party loyalties hinder our political system

Rory Penman / The Daily Utah Chronicle
Rory Penman / The Daily Utah Chronicle

The U. S. political system, being a two-party approach, puts pressure on citizens to choose either a left-winged or a right-winged viewpoint. Once an American has declared a side, a sense of loyalty to that party leaves little room for dialogue.
The Democrat versus Republican battle in the United States is leaving many without a clear vision of which policies, ideas and reformations would be beneficial to our nation. Instead, citizens have a vision of what ideas forward the cause of their declared party.
The U.S. political system is becoming more defined by either a Democratic viewpoint or a Republican viewpoint rather than focusing on ideas and issues that matter.
The Democrat versus Republican battle has bred biased, hateful and unjust sentiments about opposing views rather than a rational thought process that searches for the most logical solutions to problems.
Rather than using our ability to think for ourselves, we are allowing one of two different parties to do the thinking for us and basing our ideologies off these two sides.
With a nation of more than 310 million people, it is dangerous that we are not able to come forth with a plural dialogue to look at issues in the most analytical fashion.
The government compulsorily goes to drastic extremes in an effort to neatly coincide with political parties.
Rather than choosing a side or choosing a comprehensive political viewpoint, it is vital to look at individual issues in need of the people’s attention and take stances on an issue-by-issue basis.
Additionally, looking at the political system in the United States as a way to dissolve conflict and to bring order to the chaos of human differences is important, rather than thinking of it as a rivalry between two opposing sides.
A new light can be shone on our political system by reducing the divide between Democrat and Republican parties. This could ultimately lead to a greater respect, appreciation and dedication to our government, democratic participation and to our country.
Creating a stronger nation by dissolving steadfastness to the two-party system will lead to more rational decision making and better policy.