Top bands to rock Grand Kerfuffle

Students celebrating at last year’s sold out Grand Kerfuffle, which featured rapper Wiz Khalifa. This year’s Grand Kerfuffle will feature AWOLNATION on Friday. Chronicle File Photo
Students celebrating at last year’s sold out Grand Kerfuffle, which featured rapper Wiz Khalifa. This year’s Grand Kerfuffle will feature AWOLNATION on Friday.
Chronicle File Photo

Besides being fun to say, the Grand Kerfuffle has become a staple event at the U. The ASUU-organized concert falls right before Finals Week and offers summer-anxious students a short break from exams, essays and projects.
In the past, this event has brought a wide range of talented musical acts, such as Shiny Toy Guns, the Violent Femmes, Yo La Tengo and last year’s headliner, Wiz Khalifa. This year’s Grand Kerfuffle once again promises to provide a fun, entertaining night for students seeking a reason to procrastinate a little bit longer.
AWOLNATION, an electronic rock band thrust into the spotlight in 2011 with the commercial success of their single “Sail,” will headline the concert. “Sail” — infectious despite its obvious simplicity — provides a good example of the band’s music.
The band relies on throbbing, synthesized melodies layered over Aaron Bruno’s powerful, howling vocals to induce foot tapping and head bobbing in its listeners. Listeners trying to assign the band a specific genre should give up — they are a little bit of everything. Perhaps “blame it on [their] ADD,” to quote the song.
MUTEMATH, an alternative rock band from New Orleans known for delivering kick-ass live shows, could steal the spotlight from this year’s headlining group. Their music almost overwhelms listeners with foot-stomping swagger, bluesy melodies, funky guitar riffs and unstoppable energy.
Pounding drums, intriguing guitar chords and subtle touches of electronica provide a solid backbone for Paul Meany’s smooth yet imperfect vocals. MUTEMATH’s music is fun, fast-paced and imaginative. There is no denying the band members are having the time of their life making music.
Katie Herzig completes this year’s lineup. This girl has come a long way from her start in Colorado. Herzig’s unique, energetic music now mixes string instruments such as the cello with studio-programmed drum beats and other artificially constructed sounds. This interplay between live music and studio music provides a new, interesting backdrop for her fluttering pop vocals.
Not only has Herzig’s sound matured, but so have her lyrics. The lyrics on her new album, “The Waking Sleep,” shift from the self-indulgent, introspective musings found on her previous albums to reflecting on more universal issues. This shift in lyrical focus and the development of her unique sound allows her latest record to far surpass any of Herzig’s previous attempts.
The Grand Kerfuffle is on Friday and takes place on the Union lawn. U students can pick up two free tickets at the Union front desk, and non-student tickets are available to purchase for $15. Doors open at 6 p.m.