Concert features international taste, culture

Pink Martini performed at the Red Butte Amphitheater July 9. // Photo by Frances Moody
Pink Martini performed at the Red Butte Amphitheater July 9.
// Photo by Frances Moody

In Paris, somewhere off the Seine River, a group of close friends meets once a week and jives to the rhythms of 1950s swing music. Last Tuesday at the Red Butte Garden Amphitheatre, Pink Martini transported its audience to that exact spot in Paris. Not only did the band sweep its listeners to France, it brought them to Iran, Croatia, Japan, Spain, Turkey, Germany, Romania and Brazil. Pink Martini’s ability to integrate worldly sounds with foreign languages creates an experience in which its fans are able to take their imaginations abroad.
At the show, concert participants were not in the 94-degree weather of Salt Lake City — they were somewhere else. Each time singer Storm Large belted out ballads in Spanish, listeners went wild and took on the persona of a Barcelona matador. When the samba was played, people danced as if they were in Brazil at the Rio de Janeiro Carnival. In addition, the band’s recent single, “Zundoko,” from its upcoming album, “Get Happy,” encouraged show attendees to put themselves in the scenery of a Japanese game show.
With the group’s ability to perform and sing in 35 different languages, Pink Martini aims to show its respect for other cultures through its music. The ensemble’s brainchild and pianist, Thomas Lauderdale, hopes that the group’s approach to language will bring people of conflicting cultures together.
In fact, the idea of cultural diplomacy instigated the founding of what many call the “little orchestra.” Originally in the world of politics, Lauderdale envisioned a band capable of creating a political ambiance in which liberals and conservatives would interact without conflict. To him, a mutual love of music would bring Republicans and Democrats together and allow peaceful negotiation. That’s when Pink Martini got its start in the state of Oregon and began playing at political fundraisers.
From the coastline of its home state to the mountains of Utah, Pink Martini continued its tradition of respecting different ideas and beliefs. After the concert’s opening song, Lauderdale spoke of his experience abroad in Japan, where he lived with a family who belonged to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and learned to respect the religion’s influence on Utah life.
“When I think of Utah, of course, I think of the Mormon church, and the number of people who go on these missions … who go to foreign countries and spend time abroad,” Lauderdale said in a phone interview. “I think our music is very compatible with that mindset.”
Last Tuesday, that mindset was in full swing — no pun intended. Not only did Pink Martini incorporate several languages, it also added sounds from an assortment of musical genres. From classical to jazz, the versatility of the show’s playlist proved to have something for all ears, Mormons and non-Mormons alike.
“They have such a classy style. They do certain types of music that you just don’t get to hear very often,” said Kimberly Rhodes, an employee from the School of Medicine. “It’s definitely a throwback to bygone era of music. There are lots of cultural sounds.”
From its unique song selection to its utilization of audience interaction, Pink Martini incorporated the idea of intermingling different traditions. Dubbing respect the theme of the band and last Tuesday’s concert, Logan Young, a computer professional from the school of medicine noted that the “little orchestra” not only respects its audience but its musicians.
At the performance, Pink Martini showcased all its talented artists by staging musician solos.
“They’re a full ensemble. They really have a whole group,” Young said. “At the end, I feel like it was everyone working together as a team.”