Avenues provide taste of SLC, student lifestyle

// Chad Zavala
Chad Zavala

by Summer Bloyer
On a casual summer evening in Salt Lake City, just beyond South Temple, there are several things to witness, such as the enthused biker, peddling down 11th Avenue in his multicolored spandex suit, or the neighborly congregates, basking in social delight from their verandas. However, bikers and porch dwellers are not the only people who enjoy this neighborhood atmosphere. For instance, evening strollers can be found wandering up and down the streets lead by their floppy canine friends. In addition, neighborhood coffee shops buzz with laptop-glued student customers.
This slice of life in Salt Lake City’s iconic Avenues neighborhood shows that students can find refuge from studying in this homey and quaint area. For U students, the Avenues is a getaway just minutes from the heart of downtown Salt Lake City.
The Avenues sits on the north end of downtown Salt Lake City, north of South Temple and between A and Virginia Streets. Perched along the slope of the Wasatch Mountains and east of the Utah State Capitol Building, this active and diverse neighborhood offers a self-sustaining suburban atmosphere, while catering to the needs of active young professionals and students within the city.
“We’re our own sustainable community, but we’re also right in the heart of downtown,” said Gwen Springmeyer, chair of the Greater Avenues Community Council.  The Avenues sits minutes from downtown attractions, including City Creek, the Gateway and TRAX. Busses to the U are easily available. Not to mention, the Capitol and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Salt Lake Temple are viewable from the western streets.
This is the very reason the Avenues is such a spot-on location for students — it promotes connections to the city and the university, but also enables independence and off-campus freedom. The neighborhood enables both student convenience and independence.
“It’s like a suburb in the city,” U student and Avenues dweller Gianni Niolu, said. “It’s so close to everything, it’s easy to get to and from the university, but it also frees me from the structure of campus … [the Avenues] allows me to be more independent.”
Not only does the Avenues support the lives of students with its prime location and in-neighborhood freedom, the area also acts as an icon for the city, wearing the Utah attitude proudly. Within the Avenues are 900 homes and businesses, supporting and maintaining Salt Lake City lifestyles. You can take a casual stroll through its friendly streets and pick up a cup of locally-brewed coffee from Jack Mormon Roasting Company on 1st Avenue and E Street, or a tasty sandwich from Cucia Deli on 2nd Avenue between Q and R Streets. There are also a variety of privately owned outdoor sport shops, like Wild Rose on 3rd Avenue and K Street.
Cruising from B street and all the way to Virginia, students can see bikers, walkers, runners and Subaru racks full of climbing and ski gear — a taste of the unique sporting and recreation atmosphere that Salt Lake City proudly offers.
The Avenues has proven to be a very welcoming and active neighborhood for students and families alike. The variety of stores, housing and activities located within the neighborhood proves that the Avenues’ sloping streets offer something for everyone.