Pac-12 football preview

In preparation for the 2013 campaign, The Daily Utah Chronicle has compiled below short previews about each team in the conference.
Pac-12 North
Oregon
One of the biggest story lines during the Pac-12 offseason was the departure of Oregon head coach Chip Kelly to the NFL. Kelly was one of the most innovative coaches around, leading an offense that ranked near the top of the nation year in and year out.
Under Kelly, the Ducks became a perennial National Championship contender, and the school hoped to continue the success they had with him by promoting his lead assistant. Mark Helfrich moved from offensive coordinator to head coach and elected to keep the majority of the staff in place. The continuity of staff should ease the pain of losing Kelly.
The Ducks return quarterback Marcus Mariota, who threw for 2,677 yards, ran for 752 yards and had 37 total touchdowns. Mariota’s name should be mentioned often in conjunction with the mention of the Heisman Trophy. Running back De’Anthony Thomas will be joining Mariota in the backfield, and that speedy duo will continue to lead an offense built by Helfrich.
Kelly left Oregon with a very good foundation, and the Ducks should once again challenge for the Pac-12 title and be in the National Championship conversation.
Stanford
Comparing Stanford’s depth chart from last year to this year shows continuity that Cardinal fans can take comfort in. They had — and still have — one of the best offensive lines in the country, a defense that held the mighty Oregon Ducks to only 14 points last year, a two-time reigning Pac-12 coach of the year and a starting quarterback with NCAA experience and success.
Stanford had to deal with the loss of current NFL quarterback Andrew Luck last year, and Kevin Hogan stepped in admirably to fill that void. Although he didn’t play the whole season, he was undefeated as starting quarterback going 5-0, 4-0 against teams ranked in the Top 25. He also led them to a Pac-12 championship and a Rose Bowl win, while completing 71 percent of his passes and throwing nine touchdowns with only three interceptions.
The strength and continuity of their defense alone could help get them to a Pac-12 championship game, but the return of Hogan could put Stanford in contention for the National Championship.
Oregon State
Proving that they had one of the best defenses in the Pac-12, the Beavers allowed only 19 points per game in 2012. They’ll return seven of their top defenders from that tenacious squad this season.
Defensive end Scott Crichton and linebacker DJ Alexander will assume the leadership role on that side of the ball after the departure of star cornerback Jordan Poyer to the NFL. Given the fact that Oregon State’s top ranked defense is still mostly intact, it remains to be feared in the Pac-12.
Sean Mannion will resume his role as starting quarterback. The Beavers started 4-0 last season with Mannion under-center before he went out with a knee injury. Mannion struggled to return to form after the injury last season but earned his starting spot back after fall camp.
Oregon State expects to see more of last season’s success in 2013.
Washington
The Washington Huskies finished last season 5-4 in conference play to tie for fourth in the Pac-12 North Division. Washington will have 10 offensive, eight defensive and two special team starters returning in 2013, giving reason to believe that the Huskies can improve on their mark from a year ago. Leading that charge will be quarterback Keith Price.
One big question for Washington is the status of tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins, who has not yet been cleared to play after breaking his right pinky and undergoing surgery. He is one of the best in the country at his position, so it would certainly be a big loss if he misses an extended period of time.
California
The California Golden Bears are coming off a dismal 3-9 record in 2012, and new head coach Sonny Dykes will have only five starters returning for 2013.
Brendan Bigelow has claimed the starting running back position for the Golden Bears. Last season he rushed for 431 yards as the No. 2 back, with 160 yards coming from just four carries against the Ohio State Buckeyes.
They’ll start true freshman Jared Goff at quarterback, so they lack experience there.
The Golden Bears will be hoping to give up less than the 33 points per game that they did in 2012. But they’ll have to do so under the leadership of returning team captain defensive end Deandre Coleman.
Not only does Cal have a rough road ahead of them in terms of personnel, but they’re looking at one of the toughest schedules in the conference.
The cards are stacked against them in the upcoming season. Look for Cal at the bottom of the Pac-12.
Washington State
Washington State had one of the most inconsistent years of any team in the Pac-12 last year.
The then-25th ranked Cougars did show some signs of life as they had a close game with top-ranked Stanford, losing 24-17 to close out the season.
Unfortunately for Washington State fans, the team was plagued with many low points, including a beatdown at the hands of Oregon and a 49-6 loss to Utah.
After losing starting quarterback Jeff Tuel to the NFL, the team will turn to junior Connor Halliday to lead the offense. Halliday did get some playing time last year, finishing with a high quarterback rating of 114.5.
Even with the promising play and experience from their quarterback, however, this team is destined for another losing season and to sit in the cellar of the Pac-12 North. As long as Mike Leach and the “air raid” offense is in Pullman, Washington, this team will struggle to progress.

Pac-12 South
UCLA
UCLA is looking to climb the ladder in 2013 after a successful season in 2012 under new head coach Jim Mora Jr., finishing on top in the Pac-12 South division. The Bruins landed the No. 12 recruiting class for 2013.
Redshirt sophomore Brett Hundley will be a player to watch for at the quarterback position. With senior receivers Shaquelle Evans and Darius Bell returning, Hundley will have some solid targets to throw to. The Bruins will have some holes to fill on defense, but Cassius Marsh and Anthony Barr, who is primed to be one of the top linebackers in the country, will lead the unit.
UCLA has a particularly tough stretch in October, as it will play Oregon and Stanford in consecutive weeks on the road, but if things play out well for the Bruins, they could be looking at a good chance to win the Pac-12 title.
Arizona State
After taking a big step forward under new head coach Todd Graham last season, Arizona State could be on the cusp of battling for the Pac-12 South as well as a Rose Bowl berth.
Leading the offense will be quarterback Taylor Kelly. Although Kelly doesn’t get the hype that Oregon’s Marcus Mariota or UCLA’s Brett Hundley receive, he should be in any discussion about the best quarterback in the league. Last season, Kelly had 3,039 yards through the air, 516 yards on the ground and 29 total touchdowns as he helped lead the Sun Devils back to respectability.
All-American defensive tackle Will Sutton is one of the best defensive players in the country. Last season he finished with 13 sacks and 23.5 tackles for loss and is the centerpiece to a defense that finished in the top four nationally in tackles for loss, sacks and interceptions last season.
The Sun Devils should present a challenge for the Pac-12 South, but they are still a tier below the powerhouses of Oregon and Stanford. However, just being in the division title discussion demonstrates how far the program has come in a very short time.
USC
The USC Trojans are in an interesting spot heading into the 2013 season. They were one of the more disappointing teams in the country a season ago and have to replace eight starters this year, including quarterback Matt Barkley.
That being said, Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year and Biletnikoff Award winner Marqise Lee is returning as wide receiver and will give quarterbacks Max Wittek and Max Browne a great target.
After finishing 2012 with four losses in conference play, USC will be looking to get back among the conference’s elite programs, but may not have enough firepower to overcome powerhouses Oregon and Stanford.
Arizona
Perhaps no team in the Pac-12 will rely on a single offensive player as much as the Arizona Wildcats will on running back Ka’Deem Carey. The junior led the nation in rushing yards last season as he and quarterback Matt Scott provided a balanced attack.
Scott is now in the NFL, so not only will defenses be keying on Carey because they know he’s good, but they’ll realize that the Wildcats will be more one-dimensional. Additionally, top receiver Austin Hill tore his ACL in the spring, and it’s unknown how much he’ll be able to contribute this season — or if he will at all.
Things look more promising on defense. Arizona returns the majority of its key players on that side of the ball, and they will be looking to help the Wildcats improve on their 8-5 campaign in 2012.
Utah
Questions abound for the Utes as they enter the season with a new offense, a new defense, new special teams and a lot to prove. Nothing will be certain until they are finally tested out on the field.
Utah will feature an unconventional coaching staff this season with the addition of Dennis Erickson working in collaboration with Brian Johnson as co-offensive coordinators. Erickson brings an up-tempo scheme that looks to exhaust opposing defenses.
With the loss of stars Lotuleilei and Joe Kruger to the NFL, Utah’s defensive line has been forced to overhaul. Tenny Palepoi will replace Lotuleilei at tackle and was named a team captain post fall camp. Trevor Reilly and Jason Whittingham will fill Kruger’s void at defensive end. The D-line has always been one of Utah’s strengths, and they expect the trend to continue.
On special teams, Charles Henderson will follow a legendary season from Reggie Dunn as kick returner while Andy Phillips made giant leaps in fall camp to separate himself as the dominant place kicker. Phillips will be playing in his first ever football game this week.
Inexperience and untested plans spell uncertainty for Utah faithful, but the 2013 Utes look to put those worries to rest.
Colorado
The Colorado Buffaloes were the worst team in the Pac-12 last season, and things don’t look much brighter heading into 2013.
Head coach Jon Embree was fired after last season in one of the most unfortunate pink slip dispersals in college football. It was expected that he’d be given plenty of time to turn the program around, but he got the axe after just two seasons.
In addition to implementing new head man Mike MacIntyre’s schemes, Colorado will be breaking in quarterback Connor Wood, who didn’t exactly wow last season. Wood threw just one touchdown pass and four interceptions in a limited time. Even if Wood becomes adequate, too many signs point to this season being another long one for the Buffaloes.