Great Debate: Does the Utah-BYU rivalry still matter?

The Great Debate

Does the Utah-BYU rivalry still matter?

Other sports perpetuate rivalry

Holy War already lost significance

In the years since Utah moved to the Pac-12 and BYU became independent, many have said that the rivalry between the two schools has fizzled, that because conference championships are no longer on the line when the two teams compete, it is dead.But that is certainly not true.Even though the annual football game is the strongest component of the rivalry, and this Saturday night at LaVell Edwards Stadium in Provo will be the last time the Utes and Cougars meet on the football field until 2016, the rivalry is still one of the strongest in the nation. This is largely because many of its elements go beyond football.First there is the Deseret First Duel. Created in 2008, the Duel takes into account the contests between Utah and BYU in all sports, not just football. Every time a game, match or meet takes place between any Ute and Cougar team, a point is given to the winner. Each year, the points are tallied, and the winning school gets bragging rights. Fans of teams that receive less attention than football already treated contests between Utah and BYU differently than they did any other opponent, but the Deseret Duel has seemed to intensify those feelings.In this way, the rivalry moves beyond football and into sports such as gymnastics, tennis and volleyball, among many others. The Utes currently have claim to the bragging rights, as they won the most recent Duel. So even though the Holy War won’t be on the schedule over the next two years after Saturday, other sports will carry the rivalry. This is different from some rivalries that are confined to football, such as USC vs. Notre Dame.
But there is even more to the rivalry than sports in general. Utah and BYU have competed annually in a drive aimed at collecting money and canned goods for the food bank. The future of that event is in limbo, but the idea that the rivalry stretches beyond the field and court is still incredibly strong and a concept that won’t go away, even if the football game loses its luster. It’s an idea that has been woven into the cultural fabric of the state of Utah. Such an idea will take a long time to go away, and we’re not even close to that yet.
All of these factors don’t even bring the idea of proximity into the equation, but the fact that the two schools are so geographically close is another thing that makes the rivalry intense, and it’s a factor that won’t go away. With approximately 50 miles separating the two campuses, seemingly everyone who lives along the Wasatch Front is a supporter of one school or the other, and it seems everyone has great pride in “their” school. This pride won’t go away just because the football game will be taking a hiatus for the first time since World War II.
While this Saturday’s Holy War definitely marks the end of an era, it certainly doesn’t mean that the rivalry between Utah and BYU isn’t still relevant in this state and around the country.

The Holy War used to be a November tradition. It was a game that divided families, turned friends into enemies and polarized a state.Conference crowns were fought for, undefeated records were put on the line and seasons could be salvaged with a victory. Now, things have changed.Utah has moved to the Pac-12, BYU has gone independent and the stakes of the game have dwindled.I am not going to sit here and claim that the students and players at the U don’t care about this game. To do so would be both naïve and false. Last year, the MUSS stormed the field not once, not twice, but three times in celebration of the victory. The U still cares, a lot.However, in the grand scheme of things, a victory over Oregon State last week would have been a bigger deal to the Utes than conquering the Cougars on Saturday would be.
No matter if they win or lose against BYU, not much will change for the Utes. It’s a big game, but not the biggest. Utah still has eight Pac-12 games remaining. I would argue that each of those is more important to the Utes. Some might not be as emotional or exciting as playing BYU, but they will mean more in the standings.
On the other hand, this game is huge for BYU. They have no conference crown to compete for, and once they lose one game — which they already have — they know exactly what bowl they are headed to. Last week, BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy was quoted by several media outlets calling the game BYU’s ‘super bowl.’ This is not the case for Utah.
Now in their third season in the Pac-12, Utah is still looking for a signature conference win. They have been able to beat the cellar dwellers but have not yet knocked off an elite Pac-12 team. They have been able to beat BYU.
I am pretty sure the majority of Ute fans, players and coaches would trade a victory over the Cougars for a win against Oregon or Stanford or even UCLA. In fact, I wouldn’t think it crazy if Utah’s coaching staff was concerned that their team was looking ahead to their matchup against the Bruins on Oct. 3.
After Saturday’s contest, the Holy War will go on a two-year hiatus, though I would be shocked if the Cougars and Utes don’t meet in a bowl during that time. That fact alone shows things have changed. If this game was still so important to both schools, they would never let the break happen. They would have worked out whatever scheduling conflict they had. In reality, Utah chose to play Michigan instead of BYU. That decision speaks volumes about how the program feels about the game.
The rivalry will be missed, but it is already missed. I miss the game being played in the cold of November. I miss it determining who wins the conference title. I miss how a hated rival gets a chance to stop an undefeated season. It just doesn’t matter as much anymore.
In 2016, the Utes and Cougars will once again meet up on the grid iron. We don’t know how good the teams will be or what stakes, if any, will be attached. We just know that it will be different because, well, it already is.

• D

Dan MillerSep 23, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Sounds more like Ryan Miller the Ryan McDonald. Are we sure we got the by-line right on this one. Good points made and we to see the decline in the importance of this game.

• D

Dan MillerSep 23, 2013 at 9:22 pm

• M

MIkeSep 21, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Utah put BYU on the same level as Michigan when they chose to play FSU over the Cougars. The Utes already have nine conference games, to play both Michigan and BYU along with that schedule is asking to not be bowl eligible. So in Utah’s thinking BYU=Michingan, BYU > FSU. The Utes wanted an easier opponent for their other non conference game, thats why FSU was chosen. Michigan was chosen over BYU.

• M

MIkeSep 21, 2013 at 5:43 pm

• S

shortsallyearSep 18, 2013 at 9:26 am

Ryan, you say ” If this game was still so important to both schools, they would never let the break happen” Remember it is Utah that did not want the game. BYU wanted this game to be played every year. You can say “Utah chose to play Michigan instead of BYU.” There was still room on Utah schedule to play BYU even after scheduling Michigan. Utah chose to play FSU, not BYU. Utah chose to end the rivalry for two years you can’t lay the blame on both schools.

• S

shortsallyearSep 18, 2013 at 9:26 am