Football: Utah’s defense shines as a unit, tied for third in nation in sacks

Trevor Reilly, senior linebacker, pursues Taysom Hill.  The Utes are tied for third in the country in total sacks.  //Chad Zavala
Trevor Reilly, senior linebacker, pursues Taysom Hill. The Utes are tied for third in the country in total sacks. //Chad Zavala

Utah’s defense has built somewhat of a reputation over the years, both for its aggressive play up front and for its knack for consistently producing NFL players. Star Lotulelei and the Kruger brothers were the latest Utes to make it to the League, and their departure after last season left some wondering if Utah’s defense could maintain the same level of physicality in 2013. So far, it looks like they haven’t lost a step.
Through five games this season, Utah is tied for No. 3 in the nation in sacks per game. With an average of 3.6 sacks per game the Utes trail only Fresno State and Clemson who both average 3.8. The Utes also boast 18 total sacks, dropping quarterbacks for 113 lost yards total. What separates the U even more from other top defensive schools is that Utah has more than just two or three star players bringing down opposing quarterbacks.
In fact, 14 different Utes have been credited with at least half a sack so far this season. No one defensive player has really emerged as a standout playmaker on their own, but as a unit Utah has shown they can attack from a variety of places. This is an advantage for the U because offenses can’t hone in on one or two key players and run plays away from their side or block them with an extra man.
Instead, opponents have to try and contain the Ute front as a whole, with weapons coming from every angle. Those weapons include linebacker Trevor Reilly and defensive end Nate Orchard, who both have notched a sack and half so far this year.
Three other Utah defenders have two or more sacks themselves. Linebacker Jarred Norris has two, D-tackle Tenny Palepoi has 2.5 and linebacker Jacoby Hale leads the pack with three sacks. Hale’s disruption on the defensive side of the ball has been a welcome surprise so far, as his name coming into this year was relatively unknown.
In 2012 he played in seven games, three of which he started at linebacker. Hale put up some big numbers in two of those starts with eight tackles against Arizona State and seven versus UCLA. Then Hale suffered an ankle injury and missed the remainder of the season. He has bounced back in a big way this season and with a 4.55 second 40-yard dash time is currently one of Utah’s quickest defenders.
If Utah’s defense can continue to break through the offensive line and hunt down quarterbacks as they’ve done so far, they will likely be neck and neck with Clemson at season’s end for the most sacks of any team in the country. Although, with only conference games ahead of them, maintaining the current pace will be no easy task.
As for the players themselves, they aren’t too worried about how their stats compare with other teams. What they are focused on is continuing to work together to disrupt offenses and get tackles for loss.
“Our strength isn’t in one guy,” Palepoi said. “It’s in how we play together.”