Great Debate: NFL Draft three-year rule: good or bad?

The Great Debate

NFL Draft three-year rule: good or bad?

NFL should consider exceptions

Players need to avoid immaturity

The NFL stands apart from other professional sports leagues in that it requires players to be at least three years out of high school before they are eligible to be drafted. For most players, this means three years of Division I football before they can become pros.Many argue that the extra time is in the best interest of the athletes because they can mature both physically and mentally in preparation for the intense demands of the NFL. That is true for many, but not for all.In truth, many other groups benefit from the rule more than a lot of the players. College football fans are certainly one of these groups. Hometown crowds often get to see guys “grow up” as players on their favorite teams. Fans feel a bond with these players after sharing the joys and the heartbreaks of three long seasons, and these fans will often stay loyal to the players long after the athletes leave college and start playing on the big stage.College athletic programs also benefit from the rule in a huge way. Coaches get to see at least three years worth of fruit from their hard recruiting labors, and schools that have standout underclassmen, such as last year’s Heisman winner Johnny Manziel, can milk that talent for all it’s worth. In keeping players for three years instead of losing the best ones early to the draft, schools can get more wins, which equals more money.As for the NFL, while it can claim that the rule is in place to serve the players, it does more to protect the league itself. The NFL is a lucrative business, but every year it loses money in liability lawsuits. With underage athletes, lawsuits involving injuries could be even more costly. The three-year rule also prolongs the careers of some of the more seasoned NFL players, who might be pushed out by younger up-and-coming talent.
For all of these groups that benefit in some way from this rule, the bottom line is that some of the best college players can be hurt by it. Let’s take USC star wide receiver Marqise Lee for example. Last year as a sophomore, Lee finished with 118 catches for 1,721 yards and 14 touchdown receptions. After putting up those numbers, only one thing was stopping Lee from being a Top 10 draft pick — the fact that he was just two years out of high school.
This year, amid the firing of head coach Lane Kiffin and with a new quarterback throwing to him, Lee has struggled. Through seven games, he has 32 receptions for 403 yards with just one lonely little touchdown to his name. He has also been plagued by a sprained knee. That injury kept him out of the entire second half last week as the Trojans lost to Notre Dame, 14-10.
Many analysts agree that because of injury, dropped passes and lack of production, Lee’s draft stock has slipped. Being drafted at a lower slot next April will have a negative effect on his initial earning potential. Lee still may go fairly high in the draft and can likely have a very successful NFL career, but other players may not be so lucky.
The three-year rule helps many. It keeps hundreds of athletes in school where they can earn a degree. For those who will go pro, it provides time to mature and prepare. But the rule should not be an absolute. The NFL should be willing to review individual cases and grant exemptions for those players who could truly benefit from being drafted earlier. Because as much as we love watching these guys play, it’s their livelihood on the line, not ours.

Among the many debates in college football, one of the most pertinent topics is the three-year NFL Draft rule.For those of you who do not know what I am talking about, the rule states that a college football player must be out of high school for at least three years before entering the NFL Draft.The increase in recent arguments arose because of freak-of-nature superstar defensive end Jadeveon Clowney of South Carolina. This guy was a dominant force last year. Many believed if he was eligible to enter the draft, he would have gone No. 1 overall.Some would argue the NFL is holding him back and risking his career by keeping him back another year. He could get injured, or like many players before, could end up hurting his draft stock by disappointing play.I am here to say, though, that this rule is a positive thing and should not be changed for anyone.
For starters, the NFL is a job. These players are going out there to play football games weekly and getting paid for it. If an aspiring lawyer in high school wanted to come out of high school and immediately join a law firm, he or she would not stand a chance. There are certain rules one has to go through in order to get the job they want. It is no different for the NFL, and it should be no different. These guys are professionals and need to be treated as such.
There are special cases out there for special athletes in which they are ready to go pro early. Sometimes, those special athletes suffer injuries during the seasons that are forced upon them by the rules. Of course, I feel terrible for those athletes who suffer injuries that may affect their game or careers. What people need to realize, though, is that these rules are not here to protect those special players — they are placed to protect the majority of college athletes.
If the rule was changed to allow players to go to the NFL straight out of high school, many high school student-athletes would make poor decisions by believing they are ready for the intensity of a professional sport. This would only result in more injuries and possibly ruined careers.
Don’t get me wrong, I firmly believe that players such as Clowney or USC wide receiver Marqise Lee could have gone to the NFL last year and made immediate impacts on an NFL team. This rule is not to bind them, but to protect other athletes.
Because this rule is in place, the NFL saves 10 to 15 players every year who think they are ready and end up being washed out of the NFL after two seasons. Yes, the injury thing is a valid argument. But I believe more players’ careers are ruined by immaturity than injury. Be smart, stay in school and get an education — then you can turn pro.