Ririe-Woodbury joins forces with U dancers

artEditor’s note: A previous version of this article was inaccurate. Ririe-Woodbury’s joint performance with the U ran on Oct. 24, which was the only show. We regret the error.
With shows such as “So You Think You Can Dance” and “America’s Got Talent” introducing millions to the intricate world of dance, the art has received a spike in popularity in the last few years. Nonetheless, TV cannot begin to compete against the energy of a live performance, which is why the U Modern Dance Department in conjunction with the Ririe-Woodbury Dance Company is hosting a performance on Oct. 24.
“Performing Dance Company [PDC] happens twice a year, and it’s a great opportunity for our students to not only get performing experience but also the chance to work with some faculty members and also a guest artist,” said Shaun Boyle, co-director of PDC.
The U Modern Dance Department and Ririe-Woodbury have had a relationship for several years, as many of the Ririe-Woodbury dancers are U alumni.
Tonight is the performance’s opening night, and it will be a charity showcase, where all ticket proceeds go towards dance scholarships. Tonight’s ticket fees also include admittance to an after-show banquet. In addition, the dance extravaganza will host guest speakers and display a video celebrating Ririe-Woodbury’s 50 years of dance history.
Many of the students participating in PDC are excited to collaborate with Rire-Woodbury. They also appreciate the support and guidance their partner company provides. “I think it’s important to support young dancers, because a lot of us go to their [Ririe-Woodbury] shows too,” said Jill Cardenas, a student in modern dance.
Cardenas is in the piece choreographed by Sharee Lane, a professor in the Modern Dance Department. Lane’s compilations of modern dance and ballet represents the remaining breaths of human life. They depict the memories people wish to take from life to after-life.
For those who have never been to a modern dance performance, the department thinks PDC shows are a good way to give the art a try. Unlike Broadway, with its defined characters and narrative, modern dance allows the audience to project their own characters and stories onto the dancers. It also allows them to create their own worlds within the dance.
“Ultimately, the choreographer wants the audience to feel any emotion, whether it be good or bad,” Cardenas said. “If you feel something from it, I think that’s a good thing, whether it be good or bad, just take it as what it is.”
After tonight’s special performance, PDC will run though Nov. 2. All performances will be at the Marriott Center for Dance.