Kilby Court promises rockin’ party

The Weekenders will be performing live at Kilby Court on Halloween.  //Courtesy The Weekenders
The Weekenders will be performing live at Kilby Court on Halloween. //Courtesy The Weekenders

October is packed with scary movies, costumes, pumpkin spice everything and, perhaps most importantly, an excess of free candy. Unfortunately, there comes an age in every kid’s life when society no longer deems trick-or-treating an acceptable Halloween activity, and college students need to face this truth. This means young adults have to get creative when seeking out Halloween festivities that are inexpensive, legal and as fun as wearing a mask and demanding treats.
Tonight, the Halloween Party at Kilby Court will feature four bands, two of which are local, all of whom promise a night brimming with electric guitars, thoughtful lyrics and classic rock n’ roll sounds with ‘60s psychedelic influences. For the concert, audience members are encouraged to dress up in costume.
The Weekenders, a rock band from Salt Lake City, consists of Rob Reinfurt, Mike Sasich, Shaun Thomas and Mike Torgerson. This talented group combines blues with classic rock while also adding a touch of grunge. This combination creates a unique sound reminiscent of The Black Keys, The Smashing Pumpkins and Led Zeppelin.
“After almost every show, someone will mention that we sound like a different band. We’ve heard so many comparisons it’s bewildering. I guess that’s the beauty of original music — everyone will identify us a bit differently depending on their musical tastes,” said Reinfurt, The Weekenders’ lead vocalist and guitarist.
The Weekenders’ debut album “Don’t Plan On,” released June 2012, is based on Reinfurt’s first-hand experience with the law. In 2009, Reinfurt was arrested and charged with marijuana trafficking.
“[Our debut album] is essentially a story about the events that have surrounded my life over the last few years. Long story short, I was arrested on a pot trafficking charge, and my whole world was turned inside out,” Reinfurt said. “It was an overwhelming experience and a huge learning process. The songs will fill [listeners] in on the details.”
Reinfurt’s raw voice delivers introspective and intelligent lyrics. This, along with heavy feedback and gritty guitar riffs, creates a textured album that would drive any old school rock n’ roll fan crazy while still pleasing modern listeners.
“I live in Colorado, but I see a lot of similarities between Salt Lake City and Denver. Both cities tend to have active young people who are really supportive of the local arts and music, which is essential when building a scene. Along with its central location for the rest of the country, I believe Salt Lake City has become, and will continue to evolve into, a musical hotbed. [One of my hopes] is that The Weekenders are at the forefront of that movement,” said Matthew Fritz, the band’s manager.
The Fission Breakers, another native Utah band from Bountiful, is also scheduled to play at Kilby Court’s Halloween Party. Their blues-rock music blends in psychedelic sounds straight from the 60s. The Fission Breakers rely on epic guitar solos and catchy lyrics to produce infectious music meant to induce head banging.
Other acts scheduled to perform at the Halloween Party are Red Telephone and Deadtooth. The band Red Telephone is also inspired by 60s acid rock. In addition, the group is influenced by other bands such as My Bloody Valentine and Radiohead, while Deadtooth is more of a hardcore rock band that blends elements of punk and metal to create intense and energetic music.
All four acts scheduled to perform at Kilby Court’s Halloween Party approach rock music at different angles. This will make a diverse and exciting concert.
Admittance to Kilby Court’s Halloween Party is $5 and doors open at 7 p.m.