Coming Home: Ballet West takes the stage at Kingsbury Hall

// Frances Moody
// Frances Moody

In September, Ballet West’s longtime home, the Capitol Theatre, under went renovation. While the building is reinventing its look, the dance company is paying homage to its past by celebrating its 50th anniversary. They have also decided to showcase newly choreographed dances and to produce fanciful set designs. It’s as if the company has adopted the yin-yang philosophy of balancing one polar extreme with the other. In this case, Ballet West is meshing the old with the new.
Ballet West got its start in 1963. Fifty years later, the company has become an essential component to Salt Lake City’s performing arts world, reworked several ballet classics, and become famous through the hit TV series “Breaking Pointe.” To say the least, the company has accomplished a lot since its founding.
Aware of Ballet West’s success, artistic director Adam Sklute has decided to look back on its history and honor the people behind its making.
“It is exciting to be able to involve those people who were a part of the creation of Ballet West, and the life of Ballet West over the last 50 years,” Sklute says.
This Saturday, the company will put on its annual Gala to pay tribute to those who have supported the growth of the company. Sklute has selected a set of five dances to coincide with each honoree.
Taking stage at the Grand America will be a piece from “Coppelia.” The ballet originally premiered in 1870. Like Ballet West, it has managed to consistently reinvent itself. It has aged well over the years, and the mechanics of a lifelike doll compliment the intricate steps executed en pointe.
While Coppelia manages to stay alive, Ballet West is careful to not remain stuck in history. To add flare to the Gala and to counteract tradition with innovation, Ballet West will perform “Presto,” which features four dancers. Choreographed by Nicolo Fonte, the piece is a modern take on the classic style of dance, and is set to a music compilation that induces stomach butterflies.
From its Gala to its upcoming production at Kingsbury Hall, Ballet West is constantly practicing at Trolley Square, the company’s temporary rehearsal space for the next year. By creating new performance areas and rehearsal centers, Sklute has acquired a different outlook for its upcoming shows.
Similar to the Gala, Sklute is once again traveling back in time by selecting “Firebird” for the fall opening, Ballet West first premiered “Firebird” in 1967 and has not depicted the Russian fairytale through dance since the 80s. While the ballet has been performed, it is something new to many of Salt Lake City’s dance connoisseurs.
“Firebird” will open its curtain at Kingsbury Hall Nov. 8, 9 and 13-16. To Sklute, the stage fits perfectly with the 50th anniversary celebration since Ballet West first performed at Kingsbury Hall. Now it has come full circle.
“Isn’t a wonderful [and] poetic thing for the opening program of our 50th anniversary season to be at Kingsbury Hall, where Ballet West started?” Sklute says.
Drawings from the 1967 production inspired the set design for “Firebird.” By doing so, It appears Sklute is copying the vision of Willam Christensen, Ballet West’s first artistic director. However, that statement is anything but true since the original illustrations most likely never came to fruition. Ballet West has the resources, it is able to bring life to the 50-year-old design.
From the remake of the 1967 vision of “Firebird” to the cast of young dancers, Ballet West’s beginning season is full of poetry and symbolism of balancing the young and old. For instance, Christopher Ruud will play the prince in Ballet West’s “Firebird,” which was the role his father danced in 1967.