Great Debate: Which winter sport will be most interesting?

The Great Debate

Which winter sport will be most interesting?

Red Rocks will draw the crowds

Availability gives basketball an edge

As the Utah football season comes to an end Ute fans must find a different opportunity to show their support. In my opinion, it’s cheering for the Red Rocks gymnastics squad.
Gymnastics is a sport that requires dedication and discipline. Gymnasts begin training at a very young age, and the strength and grace they display is amazing. Utah is home to one of the best gymnastics teams in the nation.
Arguably one of the most watched events during the Summer Olympics is gymnastics. It is a sport where women consistently outshine the men. Most people can probably name a famous female gymnast. The whole nation cheers for the young women who represent their country. It brings the U.S. together with common optimism. And for Utah, that experience comes every year when the Red Rocks take the floor.
When I think of athletics at the U, I think football and gymnastics. Season tickets for football games are hard to come by, and Utah gymnastics season tickets are following suit. Every year since 2006, season ticket sales for Utah gymnastics have increased. Last year, there were 6,889 season ticket holders, and this year doesn’t look like it will break that trend. Excited spectators have already purchased 5,154 season tickets for the upcoming season with their first home meet still more than two months away. The Red Rocks averaged 14,349 fans per home meet, which was the more than any other NCAA women’s sport. Utah is currently ranked ninth in the nation when it comes to gymnastics, which is misrepresentative of their true talents, if you ask me.
There is an excitement in the air when you attend a Utah gymnastics meet. Cheering on each gymnast as she performs her routine gives the fans an adrenaline rush that rivals the MUSS at the football games. And let’s be honest, it is just more fun as a fan if your team is actually good. Ute fans can be very loyal, but it is difficult when their team doesn’t perform well.
Utah fans get an enjoyable experience out of cheering for any Ute team. But in all honesty, attendance reflects popularity. Based on attendance alone, gymnastics will be the sport to watch this winter. They are not only the most exciting winter team at Utah, they are the most exciting women’s team. Six of 10 Utah meets will be televised this upcoming season. That doesn’t even include the Pac-12 championships or any of the NCAA meets, which Utah plans on competing in.
The Red Rocks will continue to dominate fans attention for several years to come. They bring pride to Utah fans, and that is all the fans can ask for in a team.

The first real snowfall gets everyone a little more excited for what winter has to offer in Utah, but that’s not necessarily limited to the greatest snow on earth.
While one of the first things that comes to mind when thinking of winter sports in Utah is skiing, that is not the most exciting “winter” sport at the U. Yes, the ski team is one of the best squads on campus. In fact, it is one of the best ski programs in the country, as it has placed second at the NCAA Championships in three consecutive years.
Location of competitions makes it difficult to watch the ski team in action, though. Last year the Utes competed just once in Utah, and every other race was over 100 miles away from campus. This year, the NCAA Championships will be at Soldier Hollow, but that will be the extent of the Utes’ competition time in the Beehive State.
While the ski team may be among the nation’s elite, the Huntsman Center will be the most exciting place to be this winter when the men’s and women’s basketball teams take to the court.
What could be better than cheering on the women’s basketball team on a cold, snowy night? Being around Anthony Levrets’ squad means being in the presence of an Olympian, as senior forward Michelle Plouffe represented Canada at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. Very few teams on campus have such a distinction. Getting to watch a talented young Olympian play is just one of the reasons basketball is the most exciting “winter” sport on campus.
Not only that, but the women’s team is pretty good. Last season, the team made it all the way to the WNIT Championship Game. Even though just one of the Utes’ six WNIT games was played at the Huntsman Center, there was still a buzz around campus as fans were anxious to see if Utah would advance further in the tournament. After ending the season on such a high note, the Utes will be fighting for more this season, which will create an intense game experience.
It won’t just be the women who will make basketball an exciting sport to watch at Utah this winter, though. Although the Runnin’ Utes finished 10th in the Pac-12 last season, momentum surrounding the program is as high as it has been in a number of years. While nothing can compare to the energy we see from the MUSS at football games, the Mighty Utah Student Section stands strong for the Runnin’ Utes also. The MUSS is free for students this year, and it allows each student to bring up to four guests per game. The great crowd that is sure to result is another reason basketball will be the most exciting sport on campus this winter.
Gymnastics may sell out and light up the Huntsman Center with sparkle and poise, but having the basketball teams fly down the court shooting three-pointers and generating a roar from the crowd will take the cake.