Seastrand hits her stride in ASUU

Sara Seastrand, ASUU vice president in a portrait taken on Aug. 27. Chris Samuels/The Daily Utah Chronicle File Photo
ASUU vice president Sara Seastrand came into office in a nontraditional way.

Last summer, former ASUU president Nick Ferre was impeached because his grades fell below ASUU standards, and vice president Sam Ortiz was suddenly thrown into the presidency. According to Red Book, the new vice president had to come from the ASUU Assembly.

Seastrand, a senior in political science, had been elected as an Assembly representative last spring and was in Brussels, Belgium on an internship for the Center of European Studies when she decided to apply for the vacant position.

“Sam and I did a Skype interview,” Seastrand said. “With the time change, I think I was interviewing for it at four in the morning.”

Once Seastrand had been interviewed by Ortiz and some advisors to ASUU, Ortiz gave her a call and told her he was going to nominate her for the position. Once nominated, she was confirmed by the Senate and began her duties.

Seastrand said that before she was appointed vice president, she and Ortiz didn’t really know each other, but after working so closely together they have become “like best friends.”

As vice president, Seastrand serves as the assembly chairwoman and conducts the monthly Assembly meetings. She was also tasked with appointing the vice chairwoman, Ashley Bright.

In addition to her role in the Assembly, Seastrand is also co-chairwoman of the ASUU Child Care Board, which received $25,000 in funding from the Assembly on Nov. 19 to help renovate a room in the Alfred Emery Building to be used for infant child care. Seastrand said the project is
headed by senior class president Kendahl Melvin and will serve as the senior class gift for the 2013-2014 senior class.

“Sam and I really want to support Kendahl in that project,” Seastrand said. “It can really benefit students.” Another project she has worked on for the upcoming semester is the first annual Pac-12 Leadership Summit, which will be held at the U from Jan. 23 – 25. Student leaders from other Pac-12 schools will attend.

She said the event will be held for the most part in the Spencer Fox Eccles Business Building, but they will also tour the Marriott Library as well as the football facilities.

“I think it will really benefit the leadership,” Seastrand said.

Despite entering the position in a different way, Seastrand said she enjoys working as vice president.

“I’ve loved it. I’ve had some great mentors in my life who have really encouraged me to get involved on campus,” Seastrand said.

Ortiz said even though she had a nontraditional entrance into the position, she “hit the ground running” and has been a successful vice president.

“She is dedicated to helping students and making the U the best it can be,” Ortiz said. “She brings a lot of energy and enthusiasm to ASUU, which has been contagious.”

In addition to these projects and her duties as assembly chairwoman, Seastrand also has the duty to function as ASUU president in Ortiz’s absence and also serves as a voting member on the U’s Union Board as well as being a member of the executive committee.

n [email protected]