Graduate performance embraces stigmas, contradicts misconceptions

Dancers from the Modern Dance Company rehearse on Tuesday, Nov. 26 for the upcoming performance at the Hayes Christensen Theatre. Photo by Josh Anderson.
The inspiration for the Modern Dance Department’s graduate thesis was born from Walt Whitman’s famous words, “Do I contradict myself?/Very well, then I contradict myself./(I am large. I contain multitudes.)” This contradictory statement allowed the company’s performance to push the boundaries of what it means to maintain individuality when facing a larger entity.

Opening today and running through the weekend, the performance falls into opposing sidelines. Because the art form is abstract, it carries a well-known stigma — talent is not needed to choreograph modern dance. To the genre’s skeptics, it invokes a vision of human bodies writhing around stage in synchronized fashions, all the while screaming. Working to break this idea, the Modern Dance Department embraces the abstract but incorporates its widely believed opposite — hard work and skill.

The show opens with a statement from a female performer: “The following is intended for mature audiences only. Viewer discretion is advised.” The first piece is choreographed by guest artist Raja Kelly, father of “the feath3r theory,” a dance company integrating Andy Warhol’s thoughts on how everyday happenings are in fact beautiful.

“With the guest artist piece, we’ve gone through this program, and we’ve all come from different backgrounds,” said Laquimah Van Dunk, one of the six presenting master’s students. “We had to bring in someone to help facilitate the idea of community.”

After Kelly’s work, the tone of the showcase transforms when the stage opens to a haunting and dreamlike setting. Garbed in tutus, the dancers elicit dark emotions, which makes for an interesting visual display.

“I very much considered this a collaborative piece with all my dancers. I was really interested in all of the tiny pieces that make us who we are, and what we choose to keep and what we choose to leave behind,” said Alyssa Tolman, the presenting master’s student who choreographed the dance.
From Kelly’s Warhol concept of highlighting the common to Tolman’s presentation of pieces making a whole, individuality by numbers is a recurring theme. For instance, Laquimah Van Dunk showcased people coming together in “Red Light, Green Light.”

“My research is focused on community and individuality,” Van Dunk said. “We all go through different communities throughout our days and throughout our lives.”

Perhaps the most visually striking of the six pieces, “Red Light, Green Light” has original music produced by Van Dunk himself. From sound to presence, the performers will appear in a very raw and aggressive fashion. Funnily enough, performer Stanton Rodriguez admits the inspiration came from childhood games.

“It developed with the music to have a slightly more serious feel to it,” Rodriguez said. “It kind of battles ideas because we laugh on stage, but it still feels quite serious.”

Alongside community, the company offers the battle of ideas and intricately weaves disputes throughout the showing.

“We mention censorship because we went through that when we were producing the show. You have to make sure that you balance yourself and compromise,” Van Dunk said.

Other thoughts put on display are the notion of beauty and feminism and the struggles of immigration and integration.

Tying it all together, the finale celebrates individuality and fighting against the masses. It presents a story centered around a main character trying to fit in. Eventually, the person strays from conformity and stays true to herself. This set pushes out several flamenco dancers screaming, “look at me” as they move and dance gracefully. Ultimately, the Plain Jane performer takes the attention from the flamboyant dancers. Also, the production ends with a splash of genius when the choreographer introduces an elaborate plot twist.

Audience members from all backgrounds will find something in each performance that will strike an emotional chord. In addition, they will understand the growth and development the students have encountered in school.

“We’ve just gone through multiple stages of being in grad school, the roller coaster ride of it. [The] multiple stages of you starting out one way and how have you grown throughout the journey,” Van Dunk said.