Review: Snoop Dogg returns to his funky roots

Dâm-Funk and Snoop Dogg’s album “7 Days of Funk” is set to release today. Photo courtesy of Stones Throw.
In the album “7 Days of Funk,” Snoop Dogg and Dâm-Funk trace hip-hop’s inspirational roots back to funk. While it’s obvious jazz and R&B play a significant role in rap music, funk has a special place in the category’s DNA makeup. With its ability to draw out single chords, rather than playing chord progressions, it’s easy to recognize subtle overtones of the old-time genre playing on today’s Top 40.

Wanting to put the funk in “funkedelic,” Snoop Dogg (listed as Snoopzilla on the record) and Dâm-Funk keep the lyrics simple and fun. For instance, the track “1Question?,” spouts the same words time and again. The song pushes, “I just got one question to ask. Do you love me?” The simplistic manner of the lyrics, paired with funk’s pattern of emphasizing the bass, makes for an easy listening experience.

Though the record pays homage to a sound mastered in the ‘60s, the collaboration works to keep tunes relevant to today’s audience. It does so by mixing electronic vibes into popular themes such as love, good old fun and, in Snoop Dogg style, drugs.

“7 Days of Funk” adds in the trance-like synthesizer at pivotal moments. In fact, the LP’s sound evolves from old to new. The first three tracks are purely funk with electric guitar solos. As the album progresses, the music evolves into electronic melodies and extraterrestrial subject matter.

The song “Do My Thang” mentions alien UFOs zooming by while Snoop Dogg ponders the truth behind happiness, which is to do his own “thang.” The piece is accompanied with outer-space sounds reminiscent of video game scores from the 1987 Nintendo Entertainment System.

From love songs to extraterrestrial-themed narratives, the collaboration between Snoop Dogg and Dâm-Funk works well. In fact, Snoop Dogg’s talent shines when he partners with other artists. His work with the Gorillaz in “Plastic Beach” created the perfect introduction. It’s safe to say Snoop Dogg transcends music genres. For some reason his voice fits into rock ‘n’ roll. With a cameo in Katy Perry’s “California Girls,” he also spotlights pop music.

Dâm-Funk is not without talent. His skill of mixing and producing sounds lead to a booming popularity in 2009. Since then, his career has exploded. Despite his vocation to produce music, Dâm-Funk always stays true to his funk roots as his name implies.

As a musician, Dâm-Funk has raw talent, but sometimes straddles the fence between weird and listener friendly. However, “7 Days of Funk” stays in the safe zone. By playing it safe, Dâm-Funk could potentially attract a bigger listening.

While the album has a good feel, some of its songs are less inviting than others. The opening track, “Hit Da Pavement,” is explicit from the get-go. Opening the record with shocking and vulgar lyrics isn’t the best way to introduce a listener to an otherwise easy listening album. After “Hit Da Pavement, “7 Days of Funk” completely switches gears. Perhaps the yin-yang approach will work well for an audience inclined to hip-hop sounds over the indie style that has exploded over the last few years.