Library hosts ‘odd’ collection

The Odd Side collection of unusual items at the Marriott Library runs through January 1st.  the collection is housed on the fourth floor in the special collections room. Photo by Josh Anderson.
The Odd Side collection of unusual items at the Marriott Library runs through January 1st. the collection is housed on the fourth floor in the special collections room. Photo by Josh Anderson.
There have been some strange items on the fourth floor of the Marriott Library the past few weeks.

From heart valves to letters from extraterrestrials, the Special Collections section of the library has been host to the Odd Side of Special collections. The exhibit runs until Dec. 11.

“The purpose of the exhibit was to show that Special Collections has a sense of humor. Everyone is under such stress right now — students, faculty, staff,” said Liz Rogers, the exhibits curator and an archivist in the Marriott Library.

The items on display vary by genre and media. There is a bug collection, sand from the first atomic blast, heart valves from the Willem Kolff collection and Jack Sears clay caricatures from the early 20th Century. Other items on display were items such as cigarettes, a letter and photos from a 1920s honeymoon as well as photos from an extraterrestrial visitor and Relief Society coffins. Rogers also said there was a display of “early 20th century personal ephemera.”

“I vacillate between the honeymoon collection and the Atomic blast sand,” Rogers said about her favorite pieces from the exhibit.

“We don’t focus on acquiring these types of items but sometimes intriguing items come with people’s donated papers and such,” said Heidi Brett, the library’s publications specialist.

“[It] is important because it is a way to tell the story of having special collections archived and accessible to the public,” Brett said.

Rogers said the exhibit is meant to “lighten the atmosphere a little” especially with finals week on the horizon. She also said the exhibit is not something people expect to see at the library’s special collections.

“We were given a human skull last year. I think that’s pretty odd,” Rogers said.