Harry Potter fans find community in club

Harry Potter Club president Pascal Bhatti leads the group in a game at a club meeting on Dec. 9 in the Union. Photo by Dane Goodwin.

Harry Potter Club president Pascal Bhatti
leads the group in a game at a club meeting on Dec. 9 in the Union. Photo by Dane Goodwin.
On Monday nights, the dusty and vacant room 319 in the Union transforms into the magical world of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

The transformation occurs under the direction of Pascal Bhatti, the president of the Harry Potter Club at the U. Bhatti, a junior in computer engineering, began the club after advice from a college advisor to become more involved, but his love for Harry Potter extends long before that.

When Bhatti was in elementary school, he refused to read. His teachers implored him to pick up books, but it was not until his fourth-grade teacher presented him with a copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone that Bhatti decided to give reading a try.

“I just happened to read the first chapter and it captivated me. And that got me into reading a lot more and it’s the reason I can read up here [at the U],” Bhatti said. “I probably wouldn’t have made it here to college if I hadn’t read Harry Potter in elementary school.”

The club was officially recognized by ASUU this past November and has since gathered more than 20 members. The club is hoping to attract more members with posters across campus and with a table at Plazafest on Jan. 8.

Despite the quote on their posters, “I solemnly swear I am up to no good,” the club does in fact do a lot of good for the community. Charity is an important component of the club, said Ben Russell, a freshman in biology and the vice president for the club. Bhatti first sought out Russell to found the club with him and charity work was in their initial plans.

“We wanted to make it a charity club so that we would volunteer and join with several organizations that are trying to feed the poor and just help out the community in general,” Russell said.

They are in the beginning phase of working with the Salt Lake Food Bank and Lumos, a foundation established by J.K. Rowling, which works to provide poor and disabled children with families.

For now, regular club meetings involve many cult classics from the series. Members get sorted into houses, watch the movies, discuss the books and dine on chocolate frogs.

Logan McPherson, a freshman in pre-nursing, was sorted into Gryffindor when she joined the club a month ago. McPherson said she identifies most with the character Hermione because of the way she connects with her friends.

“I’m not in charge of my friends, but I help them out a lot. I get them up and out of bad situations,” McPherson said.

McPherson watched the movies first, but has since read the books multiple times. She enjoys being a member of the club because it allows her to take a break from school. The hour spent in the club meeting is her time to play games and have fun. She also relishes the opportunity to meet new people that share her same interests.

“If you do love Harry Potter, it’s a great way to find people that have the same love as you,” McPherson said. “I’ve made some really awesome friends while doing this and I’ve only been doing it for a month. And it’s just a lot of fun.”

And Bhatti and Russell agree there’s always room for more in room 319.