Same-sex marriage a boon for democracy, conservatives alike

Arash Tadjiki
Arash Tadjiki
Conservatives should be thrilled that same-sex marriage was momentarily legal in Utah and could still be — they just don’t realize it yet. When United States District Judge Robert Shelby ruled that Utah’s law preventing same-sex marriage was unconstitutional on Dec. 2o, he did more than just provide marriage equality for all — he also inadvertently gave conservatives the ammunition they need for their defense of the “war on Christianity.” Even more importantly, he gave conservatives in Utah the chance to let a higher court make a difficult but correct decision that conservatives wouldn’t be willing to make on their own, although the U.S. Supreme Court has since granted the state’s request for a stay.

Marriage equality in the U.S. should not be decided by a public vote. Democracy was never intended to allow the tyranny of the majority to trample on the rights of others, specifically in regards to civil rights. The legalization of same-sex marriage in the U.S. is not only inevitable, it’s also the right thing to do regardless of one’s personal or religious beliefs. According to a poll run by Brigham Young University’s Center for the Study of Elections and Democracy, more than half of members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints surveyed favor civil unions. Opposition to these unions was at 38 percent, as compared to 69 percent almost a decade ago.

There are likely many conservatives in Utah who think same-sex marriage is morally wrong but still believe all Americans should have equal rights. However, believing that and actually voting that way are entirely different matters, which is why having a U.S. district judge make that call instead of a morally conflicted conservative is really a blessing in disguise. The legalization of same-sex marriage across the country would do more than just provide equality for gays — it would also provide equality in the “war on Christianity.”

Fox News has been trumpeting their perceived notion that there is a war on Christianity being waged by liberals and by extension the liberal media. While Fox News is known for making outlandish and generally unsubstantiated claims, they are partially right on this one. The mainstream media has made a point over the years to criticize and denounce anyone who believes that homosexuality is wrong or speaks out against same-sex marriage. Media outlets such as MSNBC try to separate themselves from the slanted news reporting of Fox News but have shown they are just as divisive and biased. But whenever Fox News makes it a point to call MSNBC out on this, they are ridiculed. It’s an example of the pot calling the kettle black and then being labeled a racist because of it.

Over the last few years, MSNBC has been both flagrant and vicious with their attacks on religion and anyone who dares to believe that homosexuality is wrong. A recent example of this was “Duck Dynasty” star Phil Robertson deciding to give a redneck Biblical version of his views on homosexuality and same-sex marriage in a GQ interview that was predictably vulgar and offensive. However, at the end of the day, Robertson was simply expressing the opinion that, according to his religious beliefs, homosexuality is a sin. He eventually released a statement saying that he would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they were different and that he loved all humanity. Robertson’s error was not in his opinion but in the vulgar and offensive way he presented it, and as a result he was labeled by the media — and specifically MSNBC — as a hate-filled, anti-gay bigot.

The hypocrisy of the beating he took from the media is an example of what Fox News claims is a “war on Christianity” because there are many instances where personalities from other major news networks say similar things about conservatives but are protected under the umbrella of being an open-minded, free-thinking liberal. In April 2012, during Mitt Romney’s presidential run, MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell had this to say about Romney and his beliefs: “Mormonism was created by a guy in upstate New York in 1830 when he got caught having sex with the maid and explained to his wife that God told him to do it. Forty-eight wives later, Joseph Smiths’s lifestyle was completely sanctified in the religion he invented to go with it. Which Mitt Romney says he believes.”

If Robertson is indeed a hate-filled, anti-gay bigot, then O’Donnell would almost certainly qualify as a hate-filled, anti-Mormon bigot. The difference is that while Robertson was immediately suspended by A&E (though that was later rescinded) and vilified by almost every major media outlet, O’Donnell was spared both, though he did later apologize for what he said.

The reason conservatives should be thrilled about the tide turning in favor of legalizing same-sex marriage regardless of their religious beliefs is twofold. It’s the right thing for democracy in this country and it would eliminate the excuse many liberals use for their blatant bigotry towards conservatives and Christianity, which is often perceived, as an institution, to oppose same-sex marriage. Legalizing same-sex marriage would force liberals to confront their own hypocrisy on their often biased and mean-spirited attacks on conservatives for having a different opinion. Trading marriage equality for an admission of this hypocrisy from liberals would be a situation even Fox News would have to admit is “fair and balanced.” But don’t hold your breath.

• F

FUtah2011Jan 7, 2014 at 3:25 am

what I want to know is, are. Santa Claus and Jesus white?

• F

FUtah2011Jan 7, 2014 at 3:25 am