‘Flabbergast’ creates a sense of wonder for all

A-Ririe-WoodburyLast Friday, hoards of young students crammed into the newly renovated Janet Quinney Lawson Capitol Theatre to watch Ririe-Woodbury’s “Flabbergast” at no charge. In addition to public performances, the dance company stages free matinees for Utah students at elementary, high school or college levels.
The Ririe-Woodbury Dance Company is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year. Typically, contemporary dance companies don’t last 50 years, but Ririe-Woodbury believes its level of talent and variety of shows will keep them dancing for years to come. The excitement and enthusiasm emanating from the students made the Capitol Theatre’s air electric and palpable. Before the curtain opened, whispers broke out in anticipation and echoed throughout the space. Usually parents, teachers or staff members immediately silence these hushed whispers. However, these honest outbursts of amazement continued throughout the entire show, and they highlighted some of the most intense parts. The young audience’s awe paralleled one of the show’s themes — people should maintain a sense of wonder, no matter their age.
“The show points out that both children and adults can be in a sense of wonder and awe. They can be flabbergasted, to use the show’s title. And I think that this really comes through in some of the sections,” said Daniel Charon, the company’s newly appointed artistic director. Tandy Beal, a renowned choreographer and circus director, created “Flabbergast” as a show for all ages.
This energetic performance is filled with acrobatic stunts, masterful choreography, mesmerizing music and colorful costumes. All of these elements combined to create a circus-like atmosphere and to remind the audience what can happen if they keep their eyes, mind and heart open.
“As a performer, to experience so many different choreographers and their processes is incredibly enriching and makes you more versatile with each new piece you learn […] Tandy’s movement style has such a sophisticated grace, while at the same time a sense of abandon and joy. Her strong theatrical background also influences the movement and makes it more authentic,” said Tara McArthur, a dancer in her sixth season with Ririe-Woodbury.
A handful of guest performers joined the dancers on stage throughout “Flabbergast.” A small group of elementary-aged students punctuated the storyline, and their appearance forced the show to tiptoe the line between fantasy and reality. Then there was a section performed by a group of mothers. Each mother cradled a baby, whose cuteness got a lot of applause from the audience. Also, an elderly woman appeared at the beginning and end. By representing this span of generations, “Flabbergast” immediately became interesting and evocative to every audience member.
“What has been so special about this performance is having children be involved in the storytelling and with us on stage,” McArthur said. “It is such a helpful reminder to see what they get excited about and how they experience performing. I think that, for the children in the audience, that dance is not just for professionals but that they too can become and achieve anything they put their minds too.”
After the mothers performed, the show transitioned to dancers dressed in bonnets and ridiculously large diapers. These adult babies toddled around the stage bumping into each other and falling over — getting laughs and applause from the audience. Then a table was brought on stage, and the dancers took turns sliding across it. This number brimmed with absurdity and humor, which resonated well with younger audience members.
Another stand-out piece was probed by the question: Does light change the way we see things? For this whimsical number, the performers wore long, flowing white robes and colorful lights were projected onto them. As they twirled and moved, the lights flashed and changed colors. This effect made them look like graceful fairies. The routine added magic and mystery to the overall show, and the lighting effects were spot-on.