Hale Center Theatre brings life to ‘Les Mis’

Photo courtesy of Thomas Arts.
Photo courtesy of Thomas Arts.
Victor Hugo’s gripping story of Jean Valjean and the devastating failure of the 1832 June Rebellion in France has touched the hearts of many avid readers. With the production genius of Cameron Mackintosh, lyrics by Alain Boublil and music by Claude-Michel Schonberg, Hugo’s epic tale has evolved into a sweeping musical that has seen endless renditions across the world. “Les Misérables” has become an icon.
West Valley Hale Centre Theatre’s Feb. 25-Apr. 19 production of “Les Misérables” is one of the latest enactments of this widespread story. One of the first community theaters licensed to perform this phenomenal production, the theater has brought Hugo’s words to life in an intimate setting.
With the recent popularity “Les Misérables” has experienced, local attempts could easily be construed as tired and mediocre. The sheer power and emotion that resides in this play demands a certain level of respect and class from any cast who decides to don the Hugo mantle.
With their remarkable production of “Les Misérables,” Hale Center Theater has irrevocably solidified their status as a first-rate playhouse. Director David Tinney has created an on-stage world in which genuine chemistry and realistic enactments take place.
Casey Elliott (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday cast) stars in this production as Jean Valjean (Kyle Olsen plays the role Monday, Wednesday and Friday). Elliott is truly brilliant as the ubiquitous lead. He is undoubtedly the star of this show and will leave you breathless with his flawless and all-encompassing portrayal of a passionate man. Elliott’s voice is assuredly one for the ages.
Interacting with Elliott is Adam Dietlein as Inspector Javert (also played by Preston Yates). Dietlein maintains the brooding stature necessary for the depiction of extremist Javert. His rendition of “Stars” is a personal favorite and is sung as a heartfelt and desperate plea. Dietlein succeeds as Javert in a quietly determined way that does not remain in the background.
Erin Royall Carlson as Fantine (other cast, Megan Heaps) is solid and honorable yet hardly a stand-out. Her portrayal of Fantine is mildly forgettable. The same can be said for Madeline Weinberger as Eponine (other cast, Anna Daines Rennaker). Weinberger is a believable Eponine but falls short in her big moment during “On My Own.” Donning the personas of the Thénardiers are Josh Richardson (other cast, Stephen Kerr) and Emily Bell (other cast, Camille Van Wagoner). Richardson and Bell are appropriately funny but offer nothing new to the larger-than-life characters they take on. Brad Robins as Marius (other cast, Tim Cooper) and Rachel Woodward Hansen as Cosette (other cast, Jessica Sundwall) create a mediocre duo and fail to deliver the longing and devotion that defines the couple.
Derek Smith as Enjolras (other cast, Bradley Lever) is a pleasant addition in this production. Smith is a firm and ever-present leader. He interacts unreservedly with fellow comrades on stage and delivers “Do You Hear the People Sing?” with the proper gusto and finesse.
Overall, Elliott and Dietlein lift this performance and transform it into a truly spectacular piece of work. The multi-faceted stage and versatile ensemble fashion an environment for Hugo’s words to truly flourish.
Hale Centre Theatre has magnificently fitted this immense story to fit their intimate venue. Such a setting allows for undiluted talent and sheer passion to reverberate directly into the hearts of their audience and emanates true emotion. In the words of Victor Hugo, “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”