Vandals dissect bikes near dorms

CHR09192014A06

Late into the night on Sept. 11, U Police found bike tires, seats and parts strewn haphazardly in the grass on upper campus.
The vandalism occurred near the bicycle racks of the Sage Point and Chapel Glen dorms. Todd Justesen, associate director for the U’s Housing and Residential Education, said nearly 40 bikes were disassembled that evening.
“We’re hoping that whoever did this will not do it again,” he said.
U Police and housing staff helped match some of the parts to the correct bikes, Justesen said, putting them back together to “assist the students so they didn’t wake up to a bad surprise.” The miscellaneous parts leftover were taken to the U Police office, where students can reclaim them.
Sgt. Garth Smith with U Police said there are currently no suspects in the case. He also said during the same time window as the bike incident, someone allegedly damaged window screens by the dorms, with $100 in damage near buildings 802, 803 and 804. Smith did not have an estimated cost for the vandalism to the bikes.
Justesen suggests students use indoor bike storage to avoid a recurrence of the vandalism. Students can purchase a year-long pass to the interior storage areas for $42. Those who use this space must scan their UCard to enter, making it more secure.
If you have any information related to the case, contact U Police at (801) 585-2677.
@CourtneyLTanner