Study Abroad Options Focus on Community

Cole Tan
(Photo by Cole Tan)

(Photo by Cole Tan)
(Photo by Cole Tan)

The Social Work Department at the U offers study abroad trips in Mongolia, Ghana and Mexico.
These options are different than a regular study abroad because the focus is on working with community members. Each program has a specific theme: Mongolia takes place over Fall Break with Ancient Traces, Changing Spaces and Modern Faces; Ghana’s trip is over Spring Break with Exploring Social and Political Culture; Mexico offers Community Partnerships for Social Justice from May 25 to June 14.
Jessica Olsen, a senior in social work, attended a Wednesday event to learn more about the trips.
“I have done internships in the past, but I’ve never had the opportunity to do a trip in a different country,” she said. “I think that I would be most interested in serving in Ghana because I never dreamed I could ever leave the country, let alone go to Africa.”
Olsen particularly likes how the trips are offered at different times. She would like to go over Spring Break.
“I have considered doing a study abroad before, but they usually conflict with summer internships and things like that,” she said.
The Mongolia trip focuses around the capitol of the country. Students visit local monasteries, museums and the Winter Palace. Sara Young, a sophomore in psychology, is interested in this option because of its ties to her field of study.
“I think the human mind is fascinating,” Young said. “The idea that people’s ancestors can still have an affect on how people act today or why they think a certain way is a passion for me.”
Teresa Taylor, an undeclared freshman, attended the study abroad fair with no expectations.
“I still don’t know what I want to study, but I know that it has to be with something that helps people,” she said.
Taylor has traveled to Mexico in the past for a service trip.
“It made me realize how fortunate my life is, living in America,” she said. “The people you plan to go help actually make the biggest impact on your life and make you more aware of all of your surroundings.”
@ArevaloStefani