U Students Bunker Down for Finals

(Photo by Kiffer Creveling)
(Photo by Kiffer Creveling)

As finals week creeps up on U students, it is time to stake your spot for a prime study space, whether that’s the library or somewhere else.

The Marriott Library does typically attract the most students — about 18,000 on a busy day — with 3,497 public seating options available. Malori Ferran, a junior in anthropology, found her spot on the second floor of the library in the general collection area.

“It’s quiet and nobody is ever there,” she said. “Depending on where you’re at, it is really easy to get distracted.”

Ferran’s sister, Mikee Ferran, is a graduate student in history and enjoys the private study rooms in the humanities building because there are individual cubicles, couches and coffee machines.

“Access to coffee is really important,” she said.

While these sisters see a lot of space available, they think the U generally lacks study spaces that offer access to power outlets. This is something the library is well aware of and looking to change. Currently, there are 814 table seats with power and 835 without, said Heidi Brett, spokesperson for the library. There are also 397 computer stations.

Dale Larsen, associate librarian, has worked at the Marriott Library for more than 20 years and said students get creative studying there. He’s seen people set up tents and bring seven-course picnics to survive finals week. Those are the outliers, but activity does pick up when the library switches to 24 hours at the end of the semester.

“Students love this place, they want more of it,” Larsen said. “We’re in demand, and we are at a great place on campus.”

If you are looking for a quiet space, he recommends hanging out by the print books.

Jamilla Alani, a senior in psychology, rated the Warnock Engineering Building as the best place on campus to study. While not an engineering student, she uses the individual study rooms to do both group and individual work. She believes having a good study space can make all the difference.

“I have to have that space where I know work is to be done in that room,” she said. “I can’t study at my home because that’s where I live, that’s where I do chores, that’s where I socialize.”

@carolyn_webber