Op-Ed: Pope’s Message Resonates Even With Non-Religious

Whenever a major figure visits America, some editorial drama is bound to ensue. The highest-profile figures in our world are always followed by controversy, and their actions are often demonized by people who do not necessarily agree with all of their viewpoints. When communities choose to ignore what an individual has to offer based on difference of opinion, however, everyone suffers. The pope’s recent visit to the United States is an example of how religious figures, regardless of creed, can reach and positively affect the American public if we allow it.

The reason for Pope Francis’s success in creating an environment of such poignant emotion during his trip is the fact that he did not use religion as a tool of derision or self-righteousness. People of different faiths could listen to his sermons and appreciate the content because there was no condemnation of any other belief system. Although there are various differences between a modern Catholic belief system and the way many of us live our lives day-in and day-out, the pope did not highlight these differences. Rather, he offered rational, yet spiritual advice on legislative, environmental and humanitarian issues. However sorely needed and critical a separation of church and state is in order to create a just, functioning society, we shouldn’t shy away from learning from religious leaders who adhere to faiths different than our own.

The pope commented on everything from immigration issues — in which he discouraged a “mindset of hostility” — to climate change, as he urged our country’s leaders and Congress that they both had an important part to play in healing the damage done to the Earth. At one point, Pope Francis spoke to a crowd in Spanish, his native tongue, in order to bring even more people into the discussion. He was able to privately meet with victims of sexual abuse within the church, commenting that “God weeps” when a child is abused sexually. Over the course of a six-day trip, the spiritual leader covered three cities and utilized every opportunity to interact with the people.

As someone who doesn’t adhere to the Catholic faith, I can definitely say I would not agree with every doctrine Pope Francis encourages. I am sure many young people, especially young women, who believe in and endorse sexual education and sexual resources would share the same sentiment. However, I found the details of his trip and the footage I was able to watch morally, spiritually and even intellectually enlightening. Some might argue that the pope has no right to speak on economic and social issues, but the opinions and instruction brought forward were direct, levelheaded and basically devoid of any excerpts from a Holy Book. Pope Francis spoke from a place of inherent moral capacity as well as intelligence. His visit is proof of the often forgotten attitude that keeping an open mind and listening sincerely regardless of categorical contrasts is crucial to gaining insight and becoming both well-rounded and well-educated.