Soccer: Trabert’s goal saves Utes in overtime against ASU

The Utah soccer team finally broke its five-game losing streak in overtime after a header from Megan Trabert gave the Utes the 2-1 win against Arizona State.

When the match started, the Sun Devils brought a lot of physicality, resulting in an early chance by Alyssa Martinez from far out, but Lindsey Luke made a diving save in the fourth minute.

After a few more possessions for the Sun Devils, the Utes warmed up and created some chances of their own, including two shots in the ninth minute resulting from a Utah corner, but both chances were eventually stopped.

With both teams playing hard, they had plenty of opportunities to score, but could not make the most of it. This included a low shot from Paola van der Veen that was picked up, and a diving save from Luke that stopped a potential goal in the 18th minute. In the 24th minute, Luke was tested again and punched a fast, bending ball over the bar.

Other chances included forward Natalie Vukic missing two shots; one was over the bar and the second was picked up. The Sun Devils had the final chance of the first half, but Luke was able to get her hands on it.

The second half started differently, as Utah came out of the break stronger with an open shot on goal deflected by a kick-save from the Sun Devils defense. It didn’t take long for ASU to compete once again with the Utes and they began to have possession on Utah’s side. Luke had to come up big again for Utah’s defense and she punched the ball over the cross bar in the 51st minute.

As time began to dwindle, both teams struggled in the final third of the field. But the Sun Devils didn’t let up, and began to test Luke more. In the 62nd minute, she punched a ball out of contention again, but Arizona State didn’t let up on the pressure.

After the Utes picked up the pace, both teams were charging up and down the field hoping to have a crack at that first goal. The Sun Devils recorded the first as forward Cali Farquharson bent a free kick in the 75th minute after a foul was called outside of the penalty box.

Utah finally broke its five-game goalless scoring streak when Natalie Vukic headed the ball over Morris into the back of the net in the 85th minute. Both teams continued to search for a game-winning goal, including an 89th minute shot by ASU where Luke once again saved the Utes.

The match headed into extra time and Utah took advantage of an early corner which resulted in Trabert heading the ball in to win the Utes their first game since Oct. 4.

Trabert and the Utes left Ute Field excited and relieved their losing woes were over.

“I was full of emotion,” said Trabert. “I missed two chances earlier and I told van der Veen to hit me a good ball. She hit a perfect ball at me and I thought I hit it wide, but it ended up going in.”

Head coach Rich Manning was also emotional after seeing his team rush the field after the final play, and thanks his goalkeeper and defense for keeping the Utes in the game.

“We have to credit the defense for keeping the ball out of the net for a good portion of the game,” said Manning. “That was probably the big part of the game, was Luke making saves and the defense being stout.”

He also felt great finally getting the goal scoring monkey off the team’s back.

“I’ve unfortunately been through a few of these goal scoring droughts,” said Manning. “Scoring those goals charged the team up and were able to keep pushing to get the win.”

With Utah’s woes diminishing following this crucial win, the Utes now look forward to facing the Arizona Wildcats on Sunday at 1 p.m.

@chad_marquez