Study Shows: Average Salaries for U Alumni Trump National Averages

Presidents circle at the University of Utah Monday September 14, 2015. (Chronicle Archives)

The average U alumnus makes $15,000 more annually than most college graduates.

A study done by the U.S. Department of Education found that U graduates make a median $49,000 a year — the third-highest in the state behind University of Phoenix-Utah Campus at $53,000 and BYU at $57,000. The national average post-graduation salary is $34,000 a year.

The U’s relatively high post-graduate salary rate could be caused by the U’s “emphasis on signature experiences,” such as internships and volunteer work, said Kelly Dries, Career Services associate director, in an emailed statement. Though the academic programs encourage success after graduation, she said extracurricular experiences improve student chances of securing a job.

“Completing an internship makes you 70 percent more likely to be hired full-time with any company,” Dries said, citing a survey by the National Association of Colleges and Employers. “I personally believe that our students have a vast array of work, leadership and volunteer experiences they are bringing to their careers, which has a large impact on their salary.”

Eighty percent of U students work at least part-time, which makes it difficult for some to complete internships, said Ann House, U Personal Money Management Center coordinator. To improve post-graduation prospects, students should “take advantage [of career preparation opportunities] while you’re in school,” she said.

The U’s emphasis on medicine and science may also improve job prospects for graduates, House said.

“Right now jobs are needed in … health services, so certainly a degree from the university is going to help you get those jobs,” she said.

The data on salaries may not be entirely accurate, Dries warned, due to low response rates by U students. The university collects feedback through its graduating student survey, which has an average response rate of about 30 percent.

“It is hard to draw conclusions about the entire graduating class,” Dries said. “We simply do not possess the data.”

@sarahnlegg