Women’s Leadership Summit To Discuss “Superwoman” Ideal

Brent Uberty

Student Leadership and Involvement will host the Women’s Leadership Summit at the Student Union on Feb. 17 from 2 to 7 p.m.

Kim Hall, associate director of the Women’s Resource Center, said the goal is to “provide a venue where young women can realize what their leadership style might be and discuss what leadership looks like.”

Hall said over 200 students participated in last year’s event, and they hope for similar numbers this year.

Hall and event co-chair Tasha Myers, director of Student Leadership and Involvement, are still sorting through a list of candidates for keynote speaker to discuss this year’s theme, (Im)Perfect, on Purpose. The discussion will focus on the way women are expected to be perfect in all aspects of their life.

Myers said she thinks the theme will help encompass different topics, such as “women’s leadership styles, pressures with body image, even how we navigate the different spaces we’re in.” She said she wants to challenge the idea that imperfections hinder women.

Hall also hopes it will provide an opportunity for women at the U to network, make connections and seek out mentors. While this program will be geared towards women, Hall encourages men interested in women’s leadership to attend as well.

“These conferences are a big part of how we offer leadership training on campus,” Myers said.

The event will include a keynote speaker discussing how women are expected to be what Hall calls “superwomen,” several breakout sessions and dinner. The deadline to submit proposals for program ideas closed on Dec. 7, but Hall said she would be willing to continue accepting proposals. Around 10 have been submitted.

There is a $5 registration fee, but Hall said anyone who feels they are unable to pay can seek assistance from several offices on campus, such as the Women’s Resource Center. Hall said the registration link should be available soon at leadership.utah.edu.

@nikivenugopal