“An Inspector Calls” Grips Audiences With Wit And Intrigue

With a presidential election year upon us, never-ending discussions of social responsibility and transparency have been reignited, which is why this is the perfect time for Pioneer Theatre Company’s thoroughly engaging production of “An Inspector Calls,” which premiered this past Friday.

There is a reason “An Inspector Calls” has been intriguing audiences since its stage premiere in 1945 and has spawned both television and film adaptations. “An Inspector Calls” is a layered examination of the struggles of the lower social classes and the indifference of many in the upper class.

Set in 1912 in the fictional British town of Brumley the play focuses on the prosperous Birling family, who are celebrating the recent engagement of their daughter Sheila (played by Katie Wieland) to Gerald Croft (John Skelley). They are toasting to their good fortune when the mysterious Inspector Goole (Christopher Kelly) pays a house call and thoroughly ruins their entire evening through a series of pointed questions and accusations regarding the suicide of a young girl earlier that night.

Kelly in particular brings a commanding stage presence in his role as the Inspector as he takes complete control of the Birling family and unmasks them one by one, proving they all had a hand in the death of a young girl whose life was irrevocably changed by each of them. There is a strange delight in seeing them stripped bare of the arrogance and self-satisfaction defined them at the start of the evening. The play begins slow but steadily builds to its thrilling and suspenseful climax — from the moment the Inspector arrives on the stage, the drama is riveting.

At times the message of social responsibility gets a bit heavy-handed, as the Inspector assigns blame to everyone in the room for the suicide of the young girl. This begins with Arthur Birling (Joseph Dellger) who sacked her from his factory for demanding a pay increase to his wife Sybil (Mia Dillon) who used her position as the head of a women’s charity to deny the girl welfare. While Arthur and Sybil refuse to take responsibility for their actions, their daughter Shelia and son Eric (John Evans Reese) surprisingly add context to the overriding message that actions have consequences.

There is also a dark humor to the play which helps to ease the tension while at the same time showcasing the elitist arrogance and ignorance of Arthur and Sybil. Dellger gives a delightful performance as the family’s pompous patriarch, delivering some of the best lines of the evening every time he feels emasculated by the Inspector. Dillon gives a wonderful performance as Sybil, whose prideful haughtiness makes her a ripe target for the Inspector who is more than happy to give her plenty of rope to hang herself with.

Director Mary Robinson made a bold but beautiful choice in taking what was originally a three act play, turning it into a 105 minute performance and deciding to run the play straight through without any intermission. This proved to be a wise decision, as the drama and intrigue of the play grab attention from the very beginning and don’t let up for a moment, leaving the audience holding their breath in suspense along with the cast by the end of the evening.

“An Inspector Calls” runs through March 5 at the Pioneer Theater, with performances at 7:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 8 p.m. Friday-Saturday and 2 p.m. matinees on Saturdays.