U.S. Olympic Committee Adds the U to its National Medical Network

Utah Chronicle File Photo
Photo courtesy of Chronicle archives.

It’s no secret that the U is recognized as a leader in the fields of medicine and research. On May 11, the claim was substantiated when the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) announced that the U’s health care program is the newest addition to their National Medical Network (NMN).

The U will serve as a national medical center specializing in orthopedic medicine, physical medicine, primary care, dentistry, psychiatry, ophthalmology and neurosurgery for U.S. Olympic athletes.

As part of this partnership, the U will join the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York as well as Steadman Philippon Research Institute and the Steadman Clinic in Colorado. Members of NMN provide medical care to America’s Olympians, engage in research surrounding the well-being of athletes and participate in the education of Olympic athletes .

“Being affiliated with the USOC means some of the greatest athletes in our country will receive medical and rehabilitative care here, establishing University of Utah Health Care as a national leader in sports medicine,” said Suzanne Winchester, a spokesperson for health sciences at the U. “Our physicians and researchers will now be able to study elite athletes and have a better understanding of issues like endurance and recovery.”

The U’s inclusion in the NMN is expected to draw athletes to the school as well as expand research and educational opportunities for students.

Vivian Lee, CEO of University of Utah Health Care and senior vice president for health sciences said, “We are pleased to partner with the USOC in providing educational opportunities for Team USA athletes, so that once their athletic journey comes to an end, they are able to achieve success in the next phase of their lives.“

Internships designed specifically for athletes may become available through the David Eccles School of Business. Potential programs might include outdoor-equipment innovation and sports management.

In previous years, the U has been ranked first in the nation by the University Health System Quality and Accountability rankings, named one of the country’s best hospitals by the National Research Corporation and ranked number one health care system in the Salt Lake City metro area by U.S. News and World Report.