Opportunities for Learning Abroad at Utah Asia Campus

Since 2008, the U has been working with the Korean government to create a partnership that serves as a global university campus. In 2009, the South Korean government invited the U to be one of four schools establishing the Incheon Global Campus (IGC), according to Cheri Daily, the director of development and external relations for the U. The U accepted the invitation and welcomed its first students in the Fall of 2014. Applications for the U’s Asia Campus (UAC) are currently open for the 2016-17 academic year.

IGC was established to innovate the education system of Korea and to nurture the next generation of global leaders. At this global campus, the U offers three undergraduate programs and one graduate program. Graduates from this campus are awarded the same degree they would receive if they studied at the U’s home campus.

Degrees available for undergraduates include Communication, Psychology and Social Work. Graduate students may obtain a master’s degree in Public Health at the campus.

The U is seeking an expansion of programs available at the UAC. “We have submitted proposals to the Korean government for four new undergraduate and graduate programs to start in the near future,” said Daily.

Continuing in its goal of establishing more international connections, the U is considering new global learning programs similar to the UAC. Daily said that the U would rely on partnerships it has with schools and governments around the world.

Currently, the U is completing its third semester of recruiting and has 178 full-time students enrolled at the UAC.

Students may be surprised at the ease of the UAC application process.

There is an application fee of $45 and applicants must provide current transcripts, ACT/SAT scores and must be able to demonstrate English proficiency. Notification of undergraduate admissions is released on a rolling basis, and applicants are able to track the status of their applications online.

For the graduate program, applicants must meet the same requirements as the undergraduate application as well as provide three letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose and a demonstration of competencies.

Deadlines are approaching quickly. The priority admission deadline for the undergraduate and graduate programs was May 1, but the final application deadline is June 30.

For further information on this global learning opportunity, visit http://asiacampus.utah.edu/.

@kkristenjae