Refugee student tells story about his struggles to reach the American Dream

With over 42.4 million immigrants living in the United States, and possibly 85,000 refugees being admitted this year, a very common question arises. Can anyone in this nation truly have his or her own American dream?

Mitra Acharya, a Bhutan refugee and U student, found himself asking the same question. Coming from various refugee camps and finally finding himself in America has tested his abilities and resilience. He believes through hard work and dedication anyone can truly make it in America.

Acharya grew up Bhutan, a country located in South Asia, but fled the country due to an unjust ruler. He and his family escaped to Nepal for 18 years and stayed at the Goldhap camp, one of the seven distinguished Bhutanese refugee camps in Nepal.

Growing up in the refugee camp, Acharya’s outlook on the future of his generation was bleak. The camp lacked sufficient resources for future growth. Electricity wasn’t allowed, and running water was not available. Food supplies were distributed once a month and food needed to be rationed.

When the opportunity for resettlement in the U.States arose, Acharya and his family took the chance. Upon arrival, his feelings of excitement turned to feelings of despair.

Acharya said, “Today, I’m here in the land of opportunities, but I soon realized it is also the land of struggles.”

His biggest struggle was learning the English language. With most of his life spent in Nepal, he only spoke Nepali. He found the new language intimidating and challenging, but also exhilarating.

Another struggle Acharya faced was being different. He believed that many people judged his differences and compared them to their own perspectives. He felt depressed and expressed his desire to find other people in America with his same culture and beliefs.

Regardless of his circumstances, he made America his home. He learned that if you work hard and are willing to take responsibility for yourself, anybody can get ahead in this country through hard work.

Acharya doesn’t allow failure to dictate his future. Archarya insists that, “I learn to use them [failure] to fuel up my determination to excel.”

He is the first child from his family ever to attend college. He has high hopes and is dedicating himself to attaining an education. He hopes to be able to share his knowledge to change other’s lives as his was.

Remembering his situation in the refugee camp with insufficient resources, he finds himself fortunate to be where he is today. Acharya says, “I think of the responsibility that is mine to make something of myself and to use the opportunities and skills I have been given to make an impact.”

Acharya believes that education is the only key that can help change and influence the lives of other refugees like him.

The U recognizes that education is essential when it comes to helping refugees find success in this country. The Center for Science and Mathematics Education launched the REFUGES program at the U. This program offers an after-school program and summer science bridge course that helps refugees in STEM disciplines and those with academic weaknesses succeed in school.

@kkristenjae