Take Winter Seriously

By Al Jazeera English (DC Snowstorm Feb) [CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

If you’ve lived in Utah long enough, you know the feeling of having an unexpected weather event ruin your day. In addition to rapid temperature changes, Utah’s fluctuating weather can bring storms with little notice. Utah had one of its first winter storms of the year immediately before Thanksgiving, an inconvenience for those traveling to see family. As frustrating as it is to change schedules because of the weather, Utahns should take storms seriously and be prepared to adjust their plans.

The potential dangers of winter storms shouldn’t be ignored. Blizzards can bring poor visibility and icy roads, increasing the risk of accidents. Those caught outdoors face increased dangers as well. While many Utahns act like all winter weather is the same, sub-zero temperatures can be hazardous to those caught out in them. Utah skiers are uniquely at risk because of the possibility of avalanches, which is increased by storms.

While it would be comforting to think that we know exactly what the weather will be like, the reality is not that simple for all. Many parts of Utah lack the resources to give out widespread storm warnings that can save people’s lives. For that reason, storms can take people by surprise and test their preparedness. In addition, weather forecasts and warnings are only useful if they are seen by the people who would benefit from their information.

Because the weather can change so rapidly, being unprepared is not safe. A light coat perfect for 30-degree weather may leave you freezing in sub-zero temperatures. Similarly, if your car struggles in the snow it can be a real challenge driving in a blizzard over patches of ice. It is important to realize that the weather can shake up even the most important of plans.

Safety can get overlooked amid all of our other stressors. This is especially true during the holidays when the usual M.O. entails traveling as much as possible. Delaying a family meal because of bad weather is simply not an option for some that only get the chance to see relatives once a year.

In light of these important family gatherings, it is prudent to have backup travel plans that can get you where you need to go even in the face of a storm. For longer car trips, this might mean carpooling with a friend that has an SUV meant for the snow. For shorter trips, perhaps public transportation should be considered. For those who plan outdoor activities like skiing, it goes without saying that you should dress for the worst weather possible.

You should also take advantage of resources available that help Utahns deal with rough weather. The Utah Avalanche Center provides up-to-date information on the current risks, and is important to consult if you plan any backcountry ski trips. The National Weather Service also issues storm warnings, and you can sign up for text alerts about the weather in your area. Those planning trips might also consider checking out the Utah Department of Transportation’s list of poor road conditions, which is updated daily.

Utahns often take pride in their ability to withstand extreme weather and still get to where they are going. That pride needs not to be misplaced when considering Utah’s many brush-ups with harsh storms. We should be prepared and always have a backup plan in response to worsening weather. We can deal with holiday storms and still make it to dinner on time – it just requires a little bit of planning.