Social Media Culture

There is relatively little that we as human beings are not willing to share with the rest of society. It’s fairly easy to learn anything about someone through their online presence. The expansive dissemination of information has facilitated rapid globalization, outstripping the traditional method of face-to-face contact. Yet, at what cost have these advancements come to civilization?

This question has driven numerous theorists to explore the idea of technological addiction. As the Washington Post reported, “companies are moving away from the creation of rewarding technologies for human enhancement…and toward technologies meant to lure people to devote large amounts of time and attention to them.” Essentially, the constant presence of social media in our daily lives has left us vying for more screen time. Road trips and flights, trips that once seemed to last forever, now pass by in the blink of a pixel.

Consider Facebook recipes, which have become a staple for the media giant. Whether it’s chicken parmesan or a no-bake cake, Facebook is a sea of content aimed at providing users with dinner inspiration. Infiltrating the kitchen and the dinner table, technology has permitted us to ignore everything but the small screen. Smudged glass and paused videos have replaced the recipe book and left many without the normal interactions that cooking provides. The impact of social media stretches far beyond the kitchen counter. Technology addiction invariably leads to entertaining videos of people walking into street signs, seeing as 77% of Americans believe that it’s normal to walk while using a phone.

This critique of society is nothing new. We have indeed all heard about the inattentiveness of phone-addicted millennials. So why does it matter? Despite the constant discussion of media dependency, it’s important to recognize these habits. Without addressing the issue, society will quickly approach a point where normal interaction is almost unnatural. Perhaps not in this decade, but the century will pass quickly. Screens will eventually replace the necessity to attend class, debate with peers or even read the newspaper. It is a distressing pattern, which is pervasive enough to affect nearly everyone.

What can be done to combat the rise of social media influence? A few years ago, REI made headlines by promoting their #OptOutside campaign. The outdoor retailer encouraged customers and employees alike to take a day off as a direct counter to modern consumerism. Take a hike and enjoy the natural world. At the risk of sounding like a Woodstock veteran, just try to put away all technology for a few hours each day. Obviously, that’s harder than it sounds but it’s certainly achievable. Ironically, internet culture has created a niche for apps designed specifically to reduce screen time, incentivizing users to put away cell phones.

The age of technology culture is a pervasive issue, potent enough to negatively impact the function of society. Yet, with concerted effort, the issue can be addressed. Simply put away your screens and enjoy some freedom from the pixel jungle.

Oh, and the next time you cook, print out the recipe.