The Chronicle’s Guide to Summer Music Festivals

Justin Prather
(Photo by: Justin Prather | The Daily Utah Chronicle).

This article was originally published in print on May 13.

As final exams wrap up and grades are entered, it’s safe to say that summer is officially here. Summertime is for many things: staying up late not because you have a million things to do, but for fun; being able to spend time outside without freezing to death; and perhaps the best part of all, going to music festivals and concerts. While we don’t have Coachella here in Salt Lake, we have quite a few outdoor music festivals and concert series throughout the summer. This piece is your one-stop shop for all upcoming music festivals this summer.

Rio Grande Concert Series

This first concert series is spectacular for many reasons, but mostly it’s nice in that it’s free. That’s right — every Thursday in May, there will be a free performance in Olympic Plaza at The Gateway downtown. Not only will there be free music, but there will be food trucks and craft beer available as well. The lineup for the series consists of a mix of national and local acts. Doors open every Thursday at 6 p.m., openers start at 7 and the headliner begins at 8:30. Here is the lineup for this series:

• May 16: Cub Sport + Divorce Court
  • May 23: Slothrust + Brother
  • May 30: Geographer + Manatee Commune

Salt City Sounds Concert Series

With a goal of bringing together the community in the heart of the city, this concert series is back again with a stellar lineup. So far, only part one of the lineup has been announced, but with artists like Steve Aoki from past lineups, it’s not a series to miss. All of the concerts will take place at the Gallivan Center. Tickets are on sale now. Here’s the announced lineup:

• May 30: Cheat Codes
  • June 13: Blue October
  • July 12: Common
  • July 18: X Ambassadors

Utah Blues Festival 

The fifth annual Utah Blues Festival will take place on June 14-15. This is the only Utah festival that recognizes and showcases blues music. There are local and national blues artists, as well as a youth showcase and multiple workshops. While raising awareness to this timeless genre of music, the proceeds of the event fund the Utah Blues Society’s student programs. The event will take place at the Gallivan Center and tickets can be purchased online. Performers include:

• Ronnie Earl & the Broadcasters
  • Tab Benoit Mindi Abair & the Boneshakers
  • Welch Ledbetter Connection
  • Cafe R&B

Ogden Twilight: Summer Concert Series

This year, Ogden Twilight has managed to bring together an excellent lineup this year that’ll keep music lovers entertained all summer long. These concerts will take place at the Ogden Amphitheater. Doors open at 5 and the events begin at 6. Here is the lineup:

• June 6: Dillon Francis
  • June 20: Nick Murphy
  • July 12: Washed Out + Deerhunter + Le Voir
  • July 18: The Flaming Lips + The Growlers
  • August 2: Matt and Kim + Ladies of LCD Soundsystem
  • August 17: Phantogram + Bob Moses
  • August 21: Iron & Wine and Calexico
  • September 5: The National + Alvvays
  • September 17: TBA
  • September 27: Rüfüs Du Sol

Salt Lake Twilight Concert Series

A local favorite, this festival has changed in the past couple of years — and for the better. This year’s series is full of diverse musical acts who are chosen based on their musical genres as well as what they represent. This is an all-ages event presented by the Salt Lake City Arts Council and S&S Presents at the Gallivan Center. Tickets go on sale May 9. Here is the line up:

• July 20: Hippie Sabotage + TBA + TBA
  • July 25: Blind Pilot + Foxwarren + The Hollering Pines
  • August 1: Young the Giant + The Aces + Sego
  • August 8: Vince Staples + Leikeli47 + Concise Kilgore
  • August 15: Courtney Barnett + Snail Mail + TBA
  • August 30: Santigold + TBA + TBA

Loveloud Festival

This festival is a Utah special, started by Dan Reynolds of Imagine Dragons as a place where LGBTQ+ youth and their families can have a place to talk openly. Proceeds from the festival go directly to organizations that help LGBTQ+ youth, and this year’s event will fall on the anniversary of the Stonewall uprising, a momentous event for gay rights in the United States. The festival will take place on June 29 at USANA Amphitheatre. The star-studded lineup includes:

• Dan Reynolds
  • Grouplove
  • Kesha
  • Martin Garrix
  • Tegan and Sara
  • Daya
  • K. Flay
  • PVRIS
  • Laura Jane Grace and the Devouring Mothers

Das Energi Festival

For a change-up in genres, try this electronic dance music festival. This year it will take place from August 16-17 at The Great Saltair. This is an 18+ event and the lineup will be announced sometime in June, but past events have boasted artists such as deadmau5, Zedd and Diplo, among others.

These are just a few of the many summer festivals and musicians coming to Utah this summer. Unfortunately, Bonanza Campout was originally featured on this list, but since the event was denied permits for alcohol consumption, the three-day campout event was canceled on May 8, 2019. While this article covers festivals, there are many artists like Shawn Mendes, LANY and others coming on tour. Hopefully, these options will get you settled for a perfect summer full of live music. 

@palak_jayswal