The Chronicle Playlist: Burt’s Fall Favorites

Justin Prather

(Photo by Justin Prather | The Daily Utah Chronicle).

By Oakley Burt, Arts Editor

Fall is almost here, and if you’re like me, you’re probably starting to transition your playlist away from summer vibes. As much as I love summer music, I can’t help getting excited about the slower tempoed, relaxing and moody music that I associate with fall. This playlist features many different artists and genres — there’s always a song for fall canyon drives, rainy days and everything else autumn.

“Livin’ in a Dream”
The Neighbourhood featuring Nipsey Hussle

“Livin’ in a Dream” is an indie rock meets hip-hop track with a smooth, laid back vibe. The Neighbourhood’s frontman, Jesse Rutherford, mixes his R&B styled vocals with Nipsey Hussle’s rap influence to create this hypnotic sound that is perfect for a fall drive.

“Maybe She”
Still Woozy

Still Woozy is an alternative artist who often blends acoustic instruments with electronic synths to create funky and original beats. “Maybe She” is an offbeat, vibrant song with a compressed bassline and electronic flourishes throughout. You can’t go wrong listening to this chilled out track.

“BLEACH”
BROCKHAMPTON

BROCKHAMPTON’s “BLEACH” is a relaxed rap track featuring vocals from all seven members of the group. The slower, pulsing beat provides a calming effect, making it a great track to wind down to.

“Mile High”
James Blake featuring Travis Scott and Metro Boomin

“Mile High” is the definition of a slow-burning track that combines Scott’s signature sound and Blake’s dark and moody tone. Its melancholic electric beat sounds like a haunting lullaby.

“Lilo”
The Japanese House

The Japanese House is an English indie pop act by solo artist Amber Bain. “Lilo” is a beautiful song with electropop beats, synthesized sounds and soft vocals by Bain.

“Are You Bored Yet?”
Wallows featuring Clairo

“Are You Bored Yet?” is a song that will make you want to get out of the house on gloomy days. It has a catchy, melancholy melody complements Wallows leader singer Dylan Minnette’s low vocals.

“D.R.E.AM.”
Miley Cyrus featuring Ghostface Killah

Miley Cyrus and Ghostface Killah mix their pop and trap influences to create this dreamy hip hop track paired with heavily synthesized beats.

“Ugotme”
Omar Apollo

Omar Apollo is an R&B singer-songwriter from Indiana. He blew up on Spotify after the release of “Ugotme” in 2017. “Ugotme” is a bluesy sounding track showcasing Apollo’s smooth and silky vocals.

“Small Worlds”
Mac Miller

“Small Worlds” was the third single released from Miller’s final album “Swimming.” “Small Worlds” is a gorgeous, jazz-rap track featuring a soulful guitar melody played by John Mayer. Miller also shows his impressive vocal range on this track, switching between rapping and singing.

“Warned You”
Good Morning

Good Morning is an Australian indie-pop duo consisting of Stefan Blair and Liam Parsons. “Warned You” is from their 2014 debut EP “Shawcross”and is a sleepy pop song with breezy vocals that will have you wanting to stay in bed all day.

“STOP TRYING TO BE GOD”
Travis Scott

“STOP TRYING TO BE GOD” is an indie trap song featuring Kid Cudi’s signature humming, James Blake’s somber vocals and a harmonica solo by Stevie Wonder.

“Run”
LANY

This tracks synth-pop beats, West Coast vibes, deep bass and edgy vocals will have you letting go of past heartbreak for a fresh start this fall.

“N Side”
Steve Lacy

Steve Lacy blends R&B, hip hop and relaxed bedroom pop on this track to create a mellow beat that works well with his crooning vocals.

“911/ Mr. Lonely”
Tyler, The Creator featuring Frank Ocean and Steve Lacy

“911/ Mr. Lonely” is a synth rap track that transitions from a smooth bass rhythm to an intense drum pattern as the song progresses. Frank Ocean lends his buttery vocals to Tyler’s punchy rap verses.

“Somebody Else”
The 1975

“Somebody Else” is a bittersweet track with an upbeat, ’80s-infused, electronic melody paired with lyrics about heartbreak.

“Get You”
Daniel Caesar featuring Kali Uchis

This loved up R&B track showcases Caesar’s dreamy, angelic vocals and Uchis’ breathy, bluesy sound.

You can listen to this fall playlist here. Be sure to follow The Daily Utah Chronicle on Spotify for more playlists from our arts desk.

@oakley_burt