‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’ Is an Innovative Superhero Film

Spider-Man%3A+No+Way+Home+title+image.+%28Photo+Courtesy+Marvel+Studios%29+

“Spider-Man: No Way Home” title image. (Photo Courtesy Marvel Studios)

By Whit Fuller, Arts Writer

“Spider-Man: No Way Home” is an energetic and innovative film that will delight fans of any installment in the franchise. The film was released on Dec. 17 2021. It is the third film in Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures’ latest Spider-Man series.

The Multiverse Unleashed

“No Way Home” had much to live up to in the wake of its predecessor. Peter Parker’s (Tom Holland) identity was revealed to the world in “Spider-Man: Far From Home” (2019). He was framed for the death of Mysterio (Jake Gyllenhal) and forced to lie low. The public started viewing Spider-Man as a villain. The film didn’t leave Parker’s odds looking good.  

The new film begins with Peter Parker where “Far From Home” left him. He must work with Doctor Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) to set things right when a decision raises the stakes for their entire universe. “The Multiverse Unleashed” was the tagline for the new film. But speculation on possible crossovers began following the release of the first trailer. The Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) is no stranger to crossovers. “Avengers: Infinity War” (2018) was an ambitious and expansive film. Hosts of villains and heroes from across the MCU came together to defeat The Mad Titan Thanos (Josh Brolin).

“Spider-Man: No Way Home” promised many things in its first trailer. Viewers can glimpse Doc Ock (Alfred Molina) and Doctor Strange. Newscasts declare Peter Parker “public enemy number one.” If the trailer builds tension — the film ignites it. There is hardly ever a dull moment on the screen. Every character interaction is dynamic and energetic. There are thematic elements and questions in play the entire time. The film prompts the question of what separates a hero from a villain. Parker’s status as a hero is questioned in the fallout from the previous film. “No Way Home” continues to ask the question in relation to its own villains. The result is a dynamic film that explores morality and second chances. It shows the potential of superhero films to go beyond one-dimensional portrayals of “good” and “evil.”

No Way Home

“Spider-Man: No Way Home” truly excels in keeping fans of the MCU engaged. There are familiar characters from past films in the franchise. Villains and heroes forge new relationships in the face of being unable to return to their respective timelines. The development of relationships between characters was engrossing. The film blurred the line between hero and villain wonderfully. Viewers can see Peter Parker’s character in a new light. Fans might have viewed him as young or too comical in previous films. Holland’s Spider-Man eventually grows into a superhero in his own right. He becomes a more sympathetic character as a result of past and current experiences. His emotional growth in the film makes it difficult to not connect with his character.

Regardless of whether or not your favorite Spider-Man belongs to a different series of films — “No Way Home” offers something for most fans of the web-slinging superhero. This film makes it difficult to see the hero as just a kid from Queens.

@whit_fuller_