Utah Softball Is Off to a Red Hot Start

University of Utah softball player and sophomore Julia Scardina (28) bats during an NCAA dual meet against Stanford University at the Dumke Family Softball Stadium in Salt Lake City on March 27, 2021. (Photo by Abu Asib | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

By Elijah Murray, Sports Writer

The University of Utah softball team has been unstoppable in the three preseason tournaments they have participated in so far. Currently rocking an 11-4 record, the Utes have hit eight home runs and tallied a whopping 77 RBI’s and 89 total runs. They also boast a .332 batting average while racking up a total of 133 hits on the season so far.

As for the pitching, the Utes have an incredible 1.65 ERA and more strikeouts (88) than hits allowed (70) up to this point.

Julia Jimenez has been a shining star for the team this season as she has garnered 8 runs, 17 hits, 3 homers and 15 RBI’s in 41 AB’s, giving her a .415 batting average. Jimenez is one of four players on the team batting over .400, and overall this year’s team seems ready to take the Pac-12 by storm.

La Jolla Invitational

In the opening tournament of the season, the Utes traveled to La Jolla, California for a five-game trip. They set the tone on opening day against Stonehill, beating them 8-0 and then finishing off the doubleheader with a 9-2 win against Northern Colorado. The following day the Utes had another double-header on their hands and they took care of business once more, beating the Bears 8-0 and UC San Diego 7-0. The team closed out the invitational against the Tritons where they remained undefeated with a 7-0 win.

Tiger Classic

In the second tourney of the season, the Utes made their way to Baton Rouge, Louisiana for another five-game slate. The momentum didn’t carry over from the last time out as they lost their opening game to Central Arkansas 0-2 and fell to No. 18 LSU later in the day 4-6. The following day, the Utes split their doubleheader beating Ohio University 9-1 but then losing once more to the Tigers 1-2. In the closing game of the slate, the team ended on a high note as they absolutely crushed the Bobcats 8-0.

Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic

In their third outing of the season. The Utes traveled to Palm Springs, California for yet another five-game schedule. The Utah ladies started off with a bang as they beat Texas Tech 6-2 and followed up that win later in the day beating Loyola Marymount 6-3. The following day they only had one game and lost against Oklahoma 3-10. However, the Utes picked it back up on the final day doubleheader beating Ohio State 9-1 and Long Beach State 4-0.

Next up the Utes head to beautiful Honolulu, Hawaii to participate in the six-game Hawaii Spring Fling from March 3-6. This is their final bit of pre-season action before regular season and Pac-12 action gets underway. The Lady Utes will surely look to finish out strong and bring their incredible form back home to the Dumke Family Softball Stadium.

@_e__g__m_