‘Bama Rush’: It’s Almost about Bama Rush

(Courtesy of HBO Max)

By Edie Raines, Copy Editor

Documentarian Rachel Fleit’s latest film, “Bama Rush,” explores the history and impact of Greek life on young American women.

A Film of Many Faces

Bama Rush is a term used to refer to the process of selecting new sorority members at the University of Alabama, a school famous for its Greek life. In 2021, several female college students went viral on TikTok for showing off the intense care, planning and stress that goes into rushing a so-called top sorority. 

“Bama Rush” the documentary follows several girls prepping to rush, one of which was the one of the original Bama Rush TikTokers. The film touches on the TikTok fame, the outfit planning and the thrill of sisterhood. But Fleit is much more interested in how rushing affects the self image of young women looking for friendship as they begin college. She asks questions about how rushing may objectify women and encourage them to conform to a cookie-cutter, blonde haired, tan and toned southern belle ideal.

There were awkward moments in the film, particularly when Fleit inexplicably decided it was also about her own alopecia. This tangent almost ties it in the end, but for most of the film it was awkward, uncomfortable and unfortunately uninteresting. Not that that isn’t an important topic, it just didn’t really fit. I have to admit I was excited for a bit more drama, as someone who enjoyed the TikTok trend as much as anyone else. However, the documentary addresses topics that can’t really be ignored when considering Greek life as an institution with very real power in universities across the country. It does it without necessarily insisting that that institution shouldn’t exist or doesn’t have benefits.

Greek Life at the U

A student from the U who wished to remain anonymous told me about her experience rushing. She was very adamant that Greek life at the U is not at all as intense or appearance-based as Greek life in Alabama. Although, she did feel some pressure to look or act a certain way.

“[Sororities] post these things on Instagram like, “here are some outfit inspos,’” she said.“I spent hours putting together my outfits, trying to be like, ‘How can I look cute and act cute?’” Though her motivations for rushing did not include meeting frat guys, she still found herself wondering what they thought of her as they loomed over sorority rush events. 

I never expected Greek life to be as important at the U as it is. I remember eavesdropping as my freshman roommate gushed about which sorority she wanted to join and how devastated she was when she got her second choice. A coworker on campus told me about all the friends, connections and opportunities she’d gotten from Greek life. She also gossiped about excessive drinking, promiscuity, sexual assault, infidelity and all sorts of scandal. As if it was just a normal and fun part of the college experience.  

How Much of this Movie Can You Sort of Skip?

“Bama Rush” is not the greatest documentary. In fact, the content of the movie is overshadowed by the largely exaggerated scandal surrounding its filming. The over-inclusion of those themes within the film itself ultimately led to its downfall. I would have enjoyed a film about the TikTok hype or about the perils of Greek life. I got about an hour of that and I loved it. I could have gone without the third of the movie dedicated to Fleit’s hair loss. 

@ed_edd_n_edie