‘PetroDragonic Apocalypse’: King Gizzard at Their Best

(Courtesy of Flightless Records)

(Courtesy of Flightless Records)

By Ethan Blume, Arts Writer

In 2019, Australian psychedelic rock group King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard released something far out of left field, a thrash metal tribute album titled “Infest the Rats Nest.” You could feel the Metallica influence dripping off so many of the songs. As well as their tried and true themes of environmental ruin and what will happen if we keep on the trajectory we are now. 

Four years later, after sprinkling metal-tinged songs throughout other releases, we are finally graced with another metal album. This one swaps the overt thrash influence for a subtler progressive metal sound. Their 24 studio album, and first this year, “PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation” went above and beyond in every way.

Heavy Metal

The last six months have been my first time really getting into and exploring metal as a genre. Apart from growing up listening to various Tool and Iron Maiden songs through my parents, my experience is limited. However, it has now become a staple for me. Rarely a day goes by where I don’t put on at least one metal song. “Infest the Rats Nest” was instrumental in this, and “PetroDragonic Apocalypse” has increased my desire to delve deeper into the genre. It continues a few various Gizzard traditions. Such as the transitions between the songs giving the effect of it being one long song, as well as Stu Mackenzie’s “WOOO’S” that seem to make their way into every Gizzard release.

Gila, Gila, Gila!

From the time “Gila Monster,” the first single was released, I was ecstatic. I listened to that song almost every day, and it only got better each time. Same thing with the second and final single, “Dragon.” On my first listen I was a little disappointed. I felt the two best songs were the two singles. However, after a few more front-to-back listens and selecting various songs to listen to in the car, I honestly don’t think I could name my favorite song on the album.

Witchcraft,” “Gila Monster,” “Dragon” and “Flamethrower” are my go-to’s that I put on if I have time for one song, but really, the other three songs on the album are just as good. That is another thing about this album that is amazing, it has only seven tracks. All but one are over five minutes, and none of them feel like they overstay their welcome. This is partially due to how well they all blend together in a way that makes them all feel unique, but connected. I could listen to any of these songs on their own, but doing so would make me want to listen to the song before and after it, and so on and so forth until I put the whole album on again.

The ending of “Flamethrower” is particularly good at this, as it is the last song on the album. About halfway through the song, it changes into a completely new sound, and they start repeating the title of the first song, “Motor Spirit.”

Best at Their Heaviest

All in all, I think this is a fantastic return to form from King Gizzard. Their last few softer releases have not been for me. I think they are best at their heaviest and this album proves they still have it in them.

@Ethanblume07