Letter to the Editor: Drag Queens Are Here to Stay

Marco Lozzi
Drag queens sitting on a float during the 2023 Utah Pride Parade in downtown Salt Lake City on Sunday, June 4, 2023. (Photo by Marco Lozzi | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

Drag Queens are just one group of people who have continuously been under fire, especially in Utah. So far in 2023, Utah has seen 63 hate crimes against LGBTQ+ people. Drag Queen story hours are a way to allow youth and their adults to embody a safe community space while being read to by fabulous Drag Queens. Kids are not scared of Drag Queens, they are scared of the threats made to their safe spaces and the adults who love and care for them.

On September 24, 2023, the Salt Lake Police Department responded to a bomb threat at the King’s English Bookshop where a story hour was set to be held with local Drag Queen, Tara Lipsyncki. For people who are trying to “protect” children from Drag Queens, Proud Boys did a great job by threatening our local youth with death and despair. This is just one recent example of the hate and bullying that occurs in hopes of banning Drag Queen story hour by fear-mongering our local parents, caregivers, children, business owners, and Drag Queens.

If you hold onto any message from this letter, let it be that Drag Queens along with all LGBTQ+ people are here to stay. The safety issues at story hours do not stem from Drag Queens or self-expression, they stem from the hate that threatens our children for being who they are. I call on you to advocate for Drag Queens in your communities while supporting small, queer-owned businesses like the King’s English Bookshop. Engage in hard conversations, support our Queens, and let those around you know that you love who they are.