Vahe Bandarian Named American Chemical Society Fellow

The U professor and researcher received the highly prestigious award for his contributions to the field of chemistry.
Xiangyao Tang
Vahe Bandarian explains the usage of a piece of equipment in a chemsitry lab in the Thatcher Building on the University of Utah campus in Salt Lake City on Aug. 18, 2023. (Photo by Xiangyao “Axe” Tang | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

Last month, Vahe Bandarian, a professor of chemistry and researcher at the University of Utah, was named as a fellow for the American Chemical Society — a prestigious award for researchers and scientists in the field of chemistry.

According to Chemical and Engineering News, the American Chemical Society started the fellows program in 2009. It is a way to honor ACS members for achievements in their field and contributions to science.

Bandarian was chosen for his intensive research work through the U.

Bandarian has been at the U since 2015. In his time at the U, he’s taught, conducted research and served as the associate chair for undergraduate studies in the Department of Chemistry from 2019 to 2021. In 2021 he assumed the position of associate dean for student affairs for the College of Science. A self-described “man with many hats,” he has served on many boards and other committees within the chemistry community.

This year’s class consists of 42 fellows who were announced in the July 27 edition of Chemical and Engineering News.

According to the ACS website, Bandarian was named a fellow for “contributions to the discovery and mechanism of enzymes that catalyzes complex radical-mediated transformations,” as well as his work as a mentor to upcoming junior scientists in his field.

Bandarian’s research looks closely at enzymes that can convert one molecule into another in order to make it more stable. This process can potentially be used to make medical drugs or improve the stability of already existing medications.

“My lab is interested in understanding the molecular level details of reactions that are required in the cell to make complex natural products,” Bandarian said. “In biological systems, enzymes carry out difficult transformations and are essential for virtually everything from metabolizing glucose, to making hormones such as insulin or antibiotics such as penicillin.”

What makes his research notable is the idea of changing the stability of an enzyme bond, which makes it safer.

“We took a drug that is currently on the market and has a particularly unstable bond in it, and we engineer that so now it’s completely stable,” Bandarian said.

Additionally, the U’s College of Science website described Bandarian’s research as “developing molecular level understanding of biosynthesis of complex natural products.” His lab uses the enzymes he researches to recreate the naturally occurring biosynthesis of complex molecules.

Because of his unique findings, Bandarian was able to apply for a patent for this research. He said that the university was involved in this process and actually voted to protect the motion. The patent is still in the early stages, to see whether or not it heads to being a product or some kind of license.

Bandarian said he first became interested in doing biochemistry research over 20 years ago. The mystery of how enzymes worked intrigued him and he wanted to find out more about it.

“There is a wealth of chemistry in these reactions and we would like to understand nature’s secrets so that we can deploy the same enzymes in ways that take advantage of their potential to make new therapeutic agents,” Bandarian said.

Bandarian plans to continue diving deeper into his research that he was named a fellow for. He added he’s recently received a grant allowing him to continue researching the enzymes, and this grant will extend that funding for an additional five years.

Currently, he also teaches both undergraduate and graduate students at the U, but his main professional focus is on his research.

Matthew Sigman is the chair of the department of chemistry at the U, serving in his 11th year.

He said the chemistry department comes with a lot of strong leaders and researchers, who often get recognition for their hard work.

Sigman said Bandarian being named an ACS fellow is a big deal for the chemistry department. Winning awards like this brings recognition and prestige to the department, which can lead to advances like more funding for research and better prestige to attract faculty and prospective students.

“It’s another feather in our cap,” Sigman added.

The award elevates the profile of the chemistry department, but it has been well-known nationally for years. Bandarian said the prestige of the U’s department is what led him to join back in 2015.

“This department is well known for its research strength, nationally,” he said. “It’s one of the reasons I came because I thought it was a very good department, very strong.”

@AllisonChrony