Letter to the Editor: Why I’m Grateful for My Trans Siblings

Logan Zarnegin
(Courtesy of Logan Zarnegin)

I am grateful for my trans siblings because they are the ones who have taught me it is okay to be myself. With many campus organizations swirling to find a sense of community after recent transphobic events and resistance to these events, grief is in the air. Despite harmful and hurtful messages being spread and tolerated, I am grateful. Not for the harm and the hurt, but to know we are not alone. I am grateful for my trans siblings who stand with me today — the ones who are out of the closet as well as the ones who may not be. Your transness is valid regardless. I am also grateful for all of my trans siblings who came before me because they are the ones who have paved the way to make it possible for us to have these important conversations today.

The University of Utah has resources for you! Check out the Basic Needs Collective and LGBT Resource Center, both located in the Union.

— Logan Zarnegin, University of Utah student

Want your voice to be heard? Submit a letter to the editor.

• A

AndreaNov 12, 2023 at 4:21 pm

Honestly it’s been so lovely seeing the community support–both within the trans community on campus and within the larger campus community of associates.

• D

DillanNov 9, 2023 at 3:33 pm

What a great article, Logan! Thank you for your personal and disarming approach to this discussion that has been polemic on campus. Hopefully, through experiences like this, people can listen, understand and protect each other as we build tolerance on campus!