‘The Marvels’ Proves the MCU is at a Low Point

Many claim in recent months that the MCU has completely fallen apart. Sadly, “The Marvels,” is the best evidence to date. 
(Courtesy of Marvel Studios)

In Marvel Studio’s newest superhero blockbuster “The Marvels,” Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers), Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) and Monica Rambeau discover their “energy-based” powers have become entangled. This forces them to work together to figure out the conundrum of this mysterious link.

Readers of this review have probably already asked themselves, “Who’s Ms. Marvel? Who’s Monica Rambeau? What does ‘entangled powers’ mean?” Unfortunately, “The Marvels” has no intention of answering these questions. Instead, the film expects all audiences to have seen all three Disney Plus shows “WandaVision,” “Ms. Marvel” and “Secret Invasion.” Not only that, the film assumes audiences have also seen the entirety of the Marvel Cinematic Universe film franchise.

What Works?

Before we jump into the complete mess the film is, it is worth highlighting the film’s few shining spots.

Much of the film’s humorous bits work well, even the more audacious ones pull out a few chuckles and snorts. The initial action scene that establishes the “entangled powers” is the only time director Nia DaCosta is allowed to flex her skills behind the camera and it shows.

The choreography, editing and camera movement are all energetic and unique. It creates a short-lived but exhilarating sequence. The chemistry between the three leads is also consistently present. This is thanks mostly to the true highlight of the movie, Iman Vellani as Kamala Kahn. Iman carried the weight of her own show back in June of 2022 and does it again here. Her spirited charm and constant fangirling of the world around her are instantly endearing. It brings life to what is almost entirely a lifeless movie.

As mentioned before, “The Marvels” requires homework. It forces anyone who hasn’t stayed completely up to date with the franchise into a constant state of confusion. The film builds on plotlines and ideas from six different films and shows. It becomes an unintelligible collection of scenes mashed together.

Due to this, audiences are repeatedly given tonal whiplash by placing moments of cute monster cats and wacky singing aliens next to images of planetary genocide. It’s difficult to feel anything genuine during these scenes due to a complete lack of a solid narrative or thematic through-line. It doesn’t help that these sequences are cobbled together with some of the most atrocious editing a Marvel film has ever been given.

Lacking Leads

As much as I love Brie Larson in her films like “Room” or “Scott Pilgrim vs. the World,” she has yet to be given the material to make Captain Marvel an interesting character.

Some interesting concepts float around Carol — the most intriguing being that her powerful image may be more sinister than she thinks. Yet, she still ends the movie completely without a character arc. Teyonah Parris as Monica Rambeau stands out when she can. However, for most of the runtime, the character is pushed to the background and kept unimportant to the little amount of story there is. There’s an attempt to give these characters some tender moments together but it all falls flat.

It’s disappointing that “The Marvels” is as bad as it is. Nia DaCosta’s directing in 2021’s “Candyman” was artistic and distinctive. To see such a visually uninteresting film with her name behind it is like a punch to the gut.

It also sucks how many sexist internet personalities will use this film’s lackluster quality as an excuse to say truly heinous and unacceptable comments about the cast. Audiences should continue to support these actors and stand up against the pathetic man-children seeking to hurt real people because a movie stinks. I look forward to seeing Monica and Kamala again in the future. With a few tweaks to this franchise, Carol can become a fully fleshed-out character.

That being said, “The Marvels” is not worth making a trip to the theater. Even with some strong chemistry between the leads, it can’t save this garbage bag of a film.

@grahamcool8