The Dreamy Soundscape of Unflirt’s ‘April’s Nectar’

As usual, Unflirt’s songs are easy on the ears while tackling complex topics and emotions. These are the songs you listen to on a train as you stare out the window, deep in thought.
(Courtesy of Spotify)
(Courtesy of Spotify)

Following the releases of singles “Someday” and “Had Enough” in the last quarter of 2023, bedroom pop singer-songwriter Unflirt released her second EP, “April’s Nectar,” on Nov. 29. Consisting of five songs that detail her experiences with love, “April’s Nectar” expands upon themes presented in her debut EP, “Bitter Sweet,” and expresses her growth as both an artist and a person.

The Nuances of Love

“April’s Nectar” fits seamlessly into Unflirt’s discography as a continuation of the ideas explored in “Bitter Sweet.” This EP is essentially a coming-of-age in terms of love and relationships. Unflirt displays maturation and growth as an artist with songs that further delve into the complexities of love, all while retaining her dreamy vocal style that floats above the instrumentals. 

“Someday” was released as a single this October and details the hardships of a long-distance relationship. It has a beautiful drive to it that encapsulates the rush of emotions that follow physical separation from a partner. “Had Enough” similarly jumps right into the lyrics, accompanied by guitar and drums — staples in Unflirt’s discography. The fast pace of this track represents racing thoughts and venting frustrations as Unflirt questions and overthinks her friendships. Despite this, it’s fun and energetic. 

White Noise” is more gentle in its approach in communicating her emotions. She sings of the mental battles that follow an argument against a backdrop of soft guitar strums. “Just Pretend” eases the listener into a rhythmically hypnotic song that shares the exhaustion of having to suppress your feelings. “Home” sees Unflirt wearing her heart on her sleeve and is the most unabashed expression of love on the EP. 

As per usual, Unflirt’s songs manage to be easy on the ears while tackling complex topics and emotions. These are the songs you listen to on a train as you stare out the window, deep in thought.

A Rising Star of Bedroom Pop 

Unflirt began writing music in her bedroom during the 2020 lockdown. It was just herself and her guitar trying to communicate her emotions with limited production skills. Since then, she has begun to work in a studio with producers Mack Jamieson, Iain Berryman and Bastian Langebæk. Despite shifting from the bedroom to the studio, her sound remains intimate and approachable.

(Courtesy @unflirt on Instagram)

The transition into studio-produced music has elevated Unflirt and allowed her musical ideas to come to life. After touring with beabadoobee in Europe earlier this year and with her first headline show on Dec. 6, Unflirt is on the rise, putting herself out there for music lovers to discover her dreamy sound.

@grieraberchrony