Over 70 University of Utah Faculty Sign Letter in Support of Mecha

The letter requests the reinstatement of funding for Mecha de U of U and promoting support for trans, Palestinian and marginalized students at the U.
Xiangyao Tang
Demonstrators, including members of Mecha, at the Young Americans for Freedom at the University of Utah’s watch party in J. Willard Marriott Library in Salt Lake City on Wednesday, Nov. 01, 2023. (Photo by Xiangyao “Axe” Tang | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

On Monday, the student group Mecha de U of U posted a letter signed by more than 70 University of Utah faculty calling the U to drop all charges against Mecha and support trans, Palestinian and marginalized students.

The signed letter addressed U President Taylor Randall and the U’s central administration and expressed deep concern about “the recent events surrounding Mecha” having specified the U’s recent withdrawal of university sponsorship from Mecha and the cancelation of Mecha’s High School Conference. 

“We are disheartened to learn that university leadership and the Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion have revoked Mecha’s sponsorship status following its recent protests in support of trans people’s dignity and against the ongoing genocide in Gaza,” the letter read.

Additionally, the letter advocated for the immediate reinstatement of university funding to Mecha to support programming like the High School Conference — an event of workshops for incoming students of color. 

The letter states the university is “seeking federal designation as a Hispanic Serving Institution,” and de-sponsoring a leading organization of Latine students is “harmful and contradictory” to these efforts. 

Previously, Mecha was revoked of university funding due to “engaging in behavior that infringe(s) upon the First Amendment rights of other University of Utah students to express their views,” and the Center of Equity and Student Belonging withdrew sponsorship due to the group’s “unwilling(ness) to operate under the direction and guidance of CESB.”

The faculty letter stated “administrators have not clarified the specific behaviors that triggered desponsorship,” and listed its “nonviolent” protests including the “screening of a transphobic film organized by another student group,” and another to raise awareness about Palestinians’ human rights and current genocide in Gaza.

“These events have revealed a deeply troubling contradiction,” it read, “The free speech of transphobic ideologues is protected by the university, while the free speech of students standing against the genocide of Palestinians is not.”

The letter stated the contradiction “has had a chilling effect on anyone who wishes to speak on events in Palestine.”

Seven students are facing criminal charges following Mecha’s screening protest on Nov. 1. The charges include interference with a peace officer, disrupting the operation of a school, disorderly conduct and wearing masks with intent to commit a crime, according to the university.

The faculty letter stated they condemn actions of the university police, and said the protests “should be viewed as a valuable opportunity for education and dialogue rather than punitive measures.”

It stated the university must embrace these moments as “teachable opportunities,” and “[make] space for all student groups to learn about their constitutional rights,” in order for a more empathetic and inclusive environment. 

“We call on … university administrators to cease their pattern of intimidation,” the letter read, and concluded with a list of all faculty signers.

Mecha said in the caption of the post, “Thank you for standing with your students, as every educator has an obligation to do.”

University administration had no comment directly about the faculty letter, but did release a statement to university faculty on Monday signed by President Randall and Mitzi M. Montoya, senior vice president for academic affairs, addressing the overarching recent issues of free speech on campus.

The statement referred to the recently passed Resolution Establishing Expectations for Implementing Principles of Free Expression on Campus which outlined foundational principles for preserving free speech at Utah System of Higher Education institutions.

Additionally, university representatives were asked in the resolution to “refrain from taking public positions on political, social or unsettled issues that do not directly relate to the institution’s mission, role or pedagogical objectives.”

“The University of Utah has robust free speech and academic freedom policies in place that are in alignment with the intention of the resolution,” the statement read.

The statement also mentioned Mecha’s protest on Nov. 1.

“Some student activities may not reflect others’ individual beliefs, however, the U allows student groups the right to function as long as they follow policy, do not interrupt the operation of the university, do not infringe on the free speech rights of another person or group, or threaten public safety,” the statement said. “On Nov. 1, a group of protesters interrupted a registered student event and citations were issued.”

“We appreciate your efforts to continue to build our campus community with respect for the dignity for all,” the statement concluded.

Involved faculty have been contacted for comment, but have not yet responded.

@LibbeyHNews

Libbey Hanson
Libbey Hanson, News Writer
(she/her) Libbey is a second-year graduate student in the MPA program studying public policy and administration. She is most interested in environmental policy and social justice issues. You can usually find her in the mountains hiking and skiing or reading and writing at a local coffee shop.
Xiangyao Tang
Xiangyao Tang, Photo Director
Axe is a photographer and the photo director of the Daily Utah Chronicle. He is from China and is a senior majoring in computer science and minoring in digital photography. Axe joined the Chronicle in August of 2021. In addition to his position at the Chrony, he is also a photo intern for University of Utah Athletics. When he's not writing code, you will find him rock climbing, camping, skiing or hiking with his camera.

• M

MartineDec 28, 2023 at 7:50 am

Let’s see the names of the 70 psychos who signed up for support of students who disrupt the lawful activities of other students through crime. These students appear to havecommitted crimes.

• J

John HedbergDec 18, 2023 at 8:03 pm

First of all, YAF did not speak hatefully to ‘all trans people’ just because they allowed Chloe Cole and others to speak their lived experiences of what happens when surgery and hormone blockers turn out to be the wrong answer for someone not feeling at home in their own body. There are other reasons besides gender that can cause individuals to not feel at home in themselves, and so showing the consequences when people choose permanent bodily changes which cannot be reversed, who find out later that this was not the correct treatment to help them, seems like very basic due diligence in assisting every person to make the best choice for themselves given their own circumstances.

It’s the same regarding abortion. Abortion is a choice that takes thoughtful consideration and emotional maturity to navigate well, so it’s worth being aware that a percentage of persons who choose abortion face emotional trauma that can endure for years. Not everyone does, and not everyone faces regret from hormone blockers and transgender surgery, but it’s only right to give individuals all the information known so that they can make their own best adult choice, which can help a lot when it comes to facing unexpected consequences after the fact, so you don’t feel blind-sided by feelings you never anticipated. It’s like knowing the side effects of taking the Pill: it doesn’t mean that adults shouldn’t take that option, but it’s prudent and compassionate to let persons know the possible consequences to their short- and longer-term mental and physical health, so we can take fullest responsibility for our own lives.

People with male genitalia (no matter how they identify) should not be sharing bathrooms or changing spaces with people with female genitalia. It’s important to respect the feelings and safety of trans individuals, and it’s just as important to respect the feelings and safety of every other person in the room, since suppressing and dehumanizing anyone’s well-being can cause anguish and suicidal feelings, no matter how these persons identify: that’s humanity which we all share equally, which is why it’s important that everyone’s rights and well-being are considered and weighed with the equal caring value for each person impacted, every single individual person.

No one gets precedence. Otherwise, someone is being systematically devalued and dehumanized as if they have less value, which is morally wrong and reprehensible, like saying bigotry is right, when we all acknowledge that hatred of any human being is wrong. No exceptions, and everyone’s value is equally represented and considered.

Mecha attempted to silence and suppress the voices of trans individuals and others whose lived experiences don’t agree with their feelings, like saying only the feelings of those who agree with Mecha have value, or more to the point, only the human beings who agree with Mecha’s feelings have equal human value in the eyes of Mecha. They shout about hatred and bigotry being wrong in the middle of practicing hateful bigoted silencing of trans voices they disagreed with at the YAF event. Isn’t the definition of hypocrisy dehumanizing innocent others for hateful behavior which you’re actually practicing yourself, Mecha?

To respect everyone’s humanity and dignity, without question, everyone should be allowed to use public restrooms, but people with male genitalia (trans or otherwise) should not be allowed to share bathrooms or changing spaces with people with female genitalia, since this protects and respects the safety and well-being of everyone equally. Is it so hard to respect everyone feelings as if their humanity and concerns are equal to your own? This is basic Sesame Street stuff~!

Is it really disrespecting your safety and feelings to equally respect the safety and feelings of everyone else involved, because if it is, this may not be a problem with the campus culture so much as a problem of individual maturity, respect, and considerate compassion being weighed on everyone’s behalf, because the consequences are the same, no matter which human being they’re affecting, and how is your humanity more valuable than others: it’s certainly not less, and we all agree on that.

• J

janeJan 2, 2024 at 1:32 pm

Why are you obsessed with what’s in my pants? I just want to take a piss like any other woman, what’s your problem.

• J

John HedbergJan 3, 2024 at 5:10 pm

Why aren’t you asking women that question? They’re talking. Are you listening?