2024 Movies to Keep on Your Radar

Get a peek into this year’s hottest releases.
(Photo courtesy of Paramount Pictures)

A new year means a new onslaught of movies. Here’s a guide to some of the anticipated movie releases in 2024. 

Comedy 

Deadpool 3

Ryan Reynolds returns as Deadpool in this third movie of the Deadpool saga. Here, the sassy superhero teams up with Hugh Jackman in his much-anticipated return as Wolverine. The Shawn Levy movie is expected on July 26.

Beetlejuice 2

Tim Burton is finally directing a follow-up to the original 1988 movie. Micheal Keaton and Winona Ryder return as Beetlejuice and Lydia Deetz alongside new additions Jenna Ortega and Willem Dafoe. The movie is expected to be released on Sept. 6. 

Animation

Kung Fu Panda 4

Po returns to the big screen in this fourth installment of the “Kung Fu Panda” franchise. After he is called upon to become the Spiritual Leader of the Valley of Peace, Po is tasked with finding a new Dragon Warrior. All the while, an evil sorceress plots to re-summon Po’s past enemies. 

Mike Mitchell and Stephanie Stine directed this film, set to release in theaters on March 8.

Despicable Me 4

Though the plot of the fourth installment of the “Despicable Me” franchise is unknown, the film is anticipated in theaters on July 3. 

Drama  

Joker: Folie à Deux

Joaquin Phoenix returns as the Joker for the sequel to the original 2019 film. He will star alongside Lady Gaga, who will be taking on the role of Harley Quinn. Though not much else is currently known about the Todd Phillips film, the movie is expected to release on Oct. 4. 

Action

Argylle

An introverted author becomes entangled in a world of espionage and spies in this Matthew Vaughn film. The thing is, this world doesn’t seem all that unfamiliar to the lowly author, played by Bryce Dallas Howard, who writes spy novels herself.

Sofia Boutella, Henry Cavill and Dua Lipa also star in this film, releasing to theaters on Feb. 2.

Madame Web

Dakota Johnson stars as clairvoyant paramedic Cassandra Webb in this origin story of one of Marvel’s heroines. Sydney Sweeney, Emma Roberts and Adam Scott star in this S. J. Clarkson-directed film. The film will release on Feb. 14. 

Dune: Part Two

The second installment of “Dune” continues to follow Paul Atreides, played by Timothée Chalamet. Here, Paul continues his journey and tries to exact revenge on the people who killed his father. The movie, directed by Denis Villeneuve, also features Florence Pugh, Austin Butler and Zendaya. It will be released on March 1.

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga

Anya Taylor-Joy stars as Furiosa in this movie about the warrior before her encounter with Mad Max. George Miller directed this film which also features Chris Hemsworth, and is expected to release May 24. 

The Fall Guy

Ryan Gosling plays a retired stuntman who re-enters the business after the star of a million-dollar movie, which is also being directed by his ex, goes missing. 

Hannah Waddingham and Emily Blunt both star in this David Leitch film, which is releasing in theaters on May 3. 

Gladiator 2

The long-anticipated sequel to the original 2000 film follows Lucius, the son of Maximus and Lucilla, after Maximus’ death. Paul Mescal and Connie Nielsen star alongside Denzel Washington and Pedro Pascal in this film directed by Ridley Scott. The film is expected to be released on Nov. 22.

“The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim

This animated prequel to the “Lord of the Rings” saga sheds light on the founder of Helm’s Deep, Helm Hammerhead. The Kenji Kamiyama film is expected to be released Dec. 13.

Musicals 

Mean Girls

This remake of the classic 2004 film is actually based on the stage musical “Mean Girls.” While the stories from the 2004 film and the 2024 film might not be exactly the same, we can anticipate an exciting musical twist in this remake.

Angourie Rice stars as Cady Heron and Reneé Rapp stars as Regina George in this film directed by Samantha Jayne and Arturo Perez Jr. “Mean Girls” released in theaters on Jan. 12. 

Wicked

The classic Broadway musical is making its way to the big screen in this first of a two-part screen adaptation. Cynthia Erivo stars as Elphaba and Ariana Grande as Glinda in this Jon M. Chu-directed film, expected to release on Nov. 27.

No matter who you are or what kind of movies you’re into, there’s something worth looking into on the big screen this year.

@JosiHinds

Josi Hinds
Josi Hinds, Arts Writer
Josi Hinds is in her second year at the University of Utah, majoring in communications with a minor in both gender studies and Spanish (for now). She grew up in Bozeman, Montana, and moved to Salt Lake in hopes of venturing out in the world and meeting new people. She joined the Chronicle out of a love for writing and meeting new people, and she hopes to share stories that broaden both her and others' perspective on the world

• E

EK BrownJan 17, 2024 at 12:21 pm

Whoever edits these articles needs to get a good dictionary and basic English grammar book. As I always look forward to reading the
    “Chrony”, I find more and more grammatical and spelling errors, just lately.
    I am no expert and this is not meant as a criticism but as a “heads-up” to keep the good reputation of a great newspaper.