Advocates Protest Transgender Bathroom Bill at the Capitol

H.B. 257, which would bar transgender people from using restrooms and locker rooms that align with their gender identity in publicly owned and operated buildings, has received pushback from the community.
Elle Cowley
Protestors hold and wear transgender flags at a demonstration against H.B. 257 at the Utah State Capitol in Salt Lake City on Jan. 25, 2024. (Photo by Elle Cowley | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

Protestors gathered at the Utah State Capitol today to speak out against H.B 257, which would prohibit transgender individuals from using restrooms and locker rooms that align with their gender identity in publicly owned and operated buildings, including public universities and K-12 schools. The bill is one of two pieces of legislation restricting transgender people’s ability to use facilities that align with their gender identity. 

On the Capitol steps, advocates waved transgender flags and held signs in support of the LGBTQ+ community. Protestors chanted, “Out of the closet, into the streets!” and “When trans lives are under attack, what do we do? Fight back!” 

Protestors could also pick up free transgender flags through an initiative created by Project Rainbow Utah. Representatives from the American Civil Liberties Union of Utah, Equality Utah, the Nuanua Collective and other LGBTQ+ advocacy groups spoke against the bill. Armed Queers, an LGBTQ+ advocacy group, offered security for the event in the event of disruption, recognizable by pink bandanas.

Jacey Thornton, executive director of Project Rainbow Utah, voiced frustrations felt by many members of the transgender community.

In both committee meetings we brought facts to the table, and they brought ‘I don’t know’ to the table,” Thornton said. The crowd booed as speakers talked about the actions of the legislature. 

Clover, an attendee of the protest who requested the Chronicle use only their first name, voiced their disappointment in the legislature.

“They’re just trying to ban us from all public spaces,” they said. “Lack of access to bathrooms and changing rooms … essentially their entire goal is to erase us.”

While the rally continued outside, lawmakers repealed changes made to loosen restrictions enacted by the bill. Sen. Daniel McCay (R-Riverton) cited privacy concerns as one of the reasons the amendments were scrapped.

“Many people trust that when they go in there that they’re going to have privacy.” he said. “They have that expectation.” 

After the speeches concluded, the microphone opened up to members of the trans community.

The bill will move back into the House, where the bill will go through another round of voting. If the bill is passed, people who violate the law may face jail time and the charge of a class A misdemeanor. 

@_ellecowley

Elle Cowley
Elle Cowley, Multimedia Managing Editor
Elle Cowley (they/them) is a Junior at the University of Utah pursuing a degree in Strategic Communications. Currently, they work for The Daily Utah Chronicle as Multimedia Managing Editor, at Slug Magazine as an Editorial Intern and at KUER as an Intern for RadioWest. Their favorite part of their work is talking to lots of different people and telling their stories. Some of the work they're the most proud of is their work on the narrative podcast, Can of Worms and their Op-Ed series on anti-trans legislation in Utah. When Elle isn't out in the field, they enjoy knitting, visiting record stores and reading pulpy sci-fi.

• J

John HedbergJan 26, 2024 at 10:12 am

YAF did not speak hatefully to ‘all trans people’ just because they allowed Chloe Cole and others to speak their lived experiences of what happens when surgery and hormone blockers turn out to be the wrong answer for someone not feeling at home in their own body. There are other reasons besides gender that can cause individuals to not feel at home in themselves, and so showing the consequences when people choose permanent bodily changes which cannot be reversed, who find out later that this was not the correct treatment to help them, seems like very basic due diligence in assisting every person to make the best (most compassionate) choice for themselves given their own circumstances.

People with male genitalia (no matter how they identify) should not be sharing bathrooms or changing spaces with people with female genitalia. It’s important to respect the feelings and safety of trans individuals, and it’s just as important to respect the feelings and safety of every other person in the room, since suppressing and dehumanizing anyone’s well-being can cause anguish and suicidal feelings, no matter how these persons identify: that’s humanity which we all share equally, which is why it’s important that everyone’s rights and well-being are considered and weighed with the equal caring value for each person impacted, every single individual person. (#Listen to women’s voices, with respect)

No one gets precedence. Otherwise, someone is being systematically devalued and dehumanized as if they have less value, which is morally wrong and reprehensible, like saying bigotry is right, when we all acknowledge that hatred of any human being is wrong. No exceptions, and everyone’s value is equally represented and considered.

Mecha attempts to silence and suppress the voices of trans individuals like Chloe Cole and others whose lived experiences don’t agree with their feelings, like saying only the feelings of those who agree with Mecha have value, or more to the point, only the human beings who agree with Mecha’s feelings have equal human value in the eyes of Mecha. They shout about hatred and bigotry being wrong in the middle of practicing hateful bigoted silencing of trans voices they disagreed with at the YAF event. Now, some of the same “activists” are hatefully marginalizing the voices of women who don’t feel safe changing or sharing a restroom with people who have male genitalia, no matter how they identify (it’s not a trans issue). Isn’t the definition of hypocrisy to dehumanize innocent others for hateful behavior which you’re actually practicing yourself?

To respect everyone’s humanity and dignity, without question, everyone should be allowed to use public restrooms, but people with male genitalia (trans or otherwise) should not be allowed to share bathrooms or changing spaces with people with female genitalia, since this protects and respects the safety and well-being of everyone equally. Is it so hard to respect everyone feelings as if their humanity and concerns are equal to your own? This is basic Sesame Street stuff~!

Is it really disrespecting your safety and feelings to equally respect the safety and feelings of everyone else involved, because if it is, this may not be a problem with the culture so much as a problem of individual maturity, respect, and considerate compassion being weighed on everyone’s behalf, because the consequences are the same, no matter which human being they’re affecting, and how is your humanity more valuable than others: it’s certainly not less, and we all agree on that.