ASUU Elections: The SET Ticket

The SET ticket consists of three current ASUU members, and their focus will be on fostering student representation in ASUU.
The SET ticket, one of the three tickets running for the 2024-25 student body presidency. SET is an acronym composed of the ticket member’s last names — Milan Subotić, Keana Estorpe and Aynaelyssya Thomas. (Courtesy of the SET ticket)

This ASUU election cycle, there are three tickets vying for the 2024-25 student body presidency. 

One of the tickets is SET, which is an acronym composed of the ticket members’ last names Milan Subotić, Keana Estorpe and Aynaelyssya Thomas.

Thomas is running for vice president of university relations, Estorpe is running for vice president of student relations, and Subotić is running for student body president. All three students currently work within ASUU.

Milan is the current finance director, and then Keana is the [Equity, Diversity and Inclusion] director, and I’m an assembly [representative] for Humanities,” Thomas said.

Subotić is a third-year student who is double majoring in economics and computer science. He said he wanted to run after he experienced setbacks with the university administration. 

Through our policy, we came up with a lot of solutions that would essentially help foster representation and help make every single person to feel connected to the student government,” he said. 

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by The SET Ticket (@settheticket)

Thomas is also a third-year student, double majoring in political science and communication. She said that as an ASUU Assembly member, she has dealt with many issues that have made her want to run to make changes, such as when an ASUU assembly member was found in violation of Redbook campaigning guidelines during the election last year.

Estorpe, majoring in anthropology and biology, said her unique experiences serving in ASUU have led her to run with this ticket.

“I think that all of us have pretty extensive experience, not only within student government like ASUU, but involvement on campus,” she said. “And I love that that’s a great part of our ticket. We’re all very diverse and we have so many interests.”

As a ticket, SET’s slogan is “Set the Course.” Subotić explained that this is what they want to do if elected to office. He said student government at the U is at a turning point, and they are looking to make changes to set ASUU up for future students and generations. 

As a ticket, they have ABCs to go with their slogan, where each member spearheads efforts for each letter. A stands for Accountability, led by Thomas, B stands for Belonging, led by Estorpe, and C stands for Campus Safety, led by Subotić.

Thomas said she chose accountability to work on based on some of her research into Housing and Residential Education issues on campus, and the lack of support there for resident advisors and students. 

Estorpe said she wanted to focus on belonging because of the wide variety of students who attend the U.

My focus is belonging because I just want to create an environment at the U where students of all different backgrounds can [feel] like they do belong,” she said. “I think that’s one of the greatest things about our university right now.”

Subotić said that he felt inclined to focus on campus safety due to recent protests on campus and the police responses to them.

I believe that there’s conversations to be had with those university police departments in those communities in order to determine a solution that would actually work for everyone involved because historically, the police have been used in many ways as a tool of oppression of some of these communities,” he said.

Subotić added that as a ticket, they believe they would not stray away from the hard issues facing the university and would take tangible steps to tackle them. Some of these steps include increased support for transgender students, making ASUU more accessible and working to help with parking issues. 

We really want to focus on making those voices feel heard, make those voices feel welcome,” he said. “And I really want to fight for those students.”

ASUU voting opens Feb. 26 at 7 a.m. MST and runs through Feb. 29 at 12 p.m. The first ASUU presidential debate will be held on Feb. 6 from 6-8 p.m.

ASUU Elections results will be announced on March 1.

@allisonchrony

In this article, Aynaelyssya Thomas is speaking in her role as an ASUU candidate and not as a member of U Student Media. 

Allison Stuart
Allison Stuart, News Writer
Allison is a senior at the U and has been writing for the Chronicle since the fall of 2021. Her interests include reading biographies, working out, singing and organizing. She is studying communication with an emphasis in journalism at the University of Utah.

• C

Concerned LGBTQIA StudentJan 30, 2024 at 8:39 pm

Love this ticket and think that any group willing to openly and fiercely defend our transgender campus community deserves my vote!